• In the Spotlight:
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

A Few Words About Histrionics and Drama...now with an ETA

Posted by on Nov. 11, 2016 at 9:28 AM
  • 37 Replies
4 moms liked this

I guess it was the mid-90's. I was watching a class of 7th graders for a homeroom period. And they were talking about the previous day's Jerry Springer. I was horrified. Do your parents know you watch that? And they're OKAY with it???

What I told them at the time is to remember that this is Hollywood. What they're watching isn't really real. Unscripted, maybe. But directed and produced. And it's not how NORMAL people behave. I don't know to what degree they believed me.

Twenty years later, I am observing a generation of people who cannot state a case or share a point of view without just so much exaggeration, overreaction, and senseless drama. It has become how some normal people behave.

Perhaps as parents, we need to put forth an extra effort to moderate the Springer Effect. We need to model appropriate communication and reaction.

For example, yes, he will be your president. No, you are not moving to Canada. Yes, I'm upset too, but I know you do not actually hear the Imperial March from Darth Vader scenes as you go through your day. Rather than taking to the streets to protest something that is probably already being carved in stone in several places, reflect on why this was such a surprise to us and wait and see what happens before declaring emergency.

ETA  So while I'm here posting about overreaction, turns out my daughter is marching in a protest at college. "Fuck Trump, Fuck kkk, Fuck the Fascist USA" appears to be among the favorite chants.  Oh dear.

Don't text and drive.  

by on Nov. 11, 2016 at 9:28 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
mojogirl
by Ouiser Boudreaux on Nov. 11, 2016 at 9:50 AM

welcome to our new society

corticosteroid
by Sapphire Member on Nov. 11, 2016 at 9:53 AM

Disregarding the current unpleasantness, what I find to be so completely stunning is how work problems spill over into a social media frenzy.  One of the questions I was asked during my job interview was "How do you feel about workplace drama?"  At the time I was a little surprised at the question, but now after working there for a mere four months I am amazed at just how much bullshit drama there is and how prolonged it gets thanks to social media.  

MrsBieg
by Platinum Member on Nov. 11, 2016 at 10:17 AM
Quoting mojogirl:

Some evolutions are startling.

Don't text and drive.  

Anonymous
by Anonymous 1 on Nov. 11, 2016 at 10:21 AM
I believe this all, or most of it, stems from the look-at-me business they crave so much. They need to be that whole "clever and edgy" thing all the time and feel like they've impressed the crowd. Just look back at the type of TV you were just saying that they watched.
mojogirl
by Ouiser Boudreaux on Nov. 11, 2016 at 10:21 AM

agreed. i think we're seeing one of the biggest and swiftest cultural changes that has probably ever occured in the history of the human race. i'm honestly a little frightened. these aren't necessarily good changes. and i fear it will get worse, much much worse, before it gets better.

Quoting MrsBieg:
Quoting mojogirl:

Some evolutions are startling.

Pink.Frosting
by Ruby Member on Nov. 11, 2016 at 10:21 AM

I agree 100%.

CorpCityGrl
by Ruby Member on Nov. 11, 2016 at 10:22 AM

Absolutely!

We have an overdramatized society. It's how we've raised this younger generation and it's shameful.

MrsBieg
by Platinum Member on Nov. 11, 2016 at 10:22 AM
Quoting corticosteroid:

Disregarding the current unpleasantness, what I find to be so completely stunning is how work problems spill over into a social media frenzy.  One of the questions I was asked during my job interview was "How do you feel about workplace drama?"  At the time I was a little surprised at the question, but now after working there for a mere four months I am amazed at just how much bullshit drama there is and how prolonged it gets thanks to social media.  

That's unfortunate. A faceless screen really helps amplify the effect, doesn't it. I stayed off of FB for a long time...only joining recently...because I have a hard enough time keeping my opinions to myself IRL. I'm fortunate that my coworkers mostly just post pics of themselves at bars, parties, and restaurants.

Don't text and drive.  

Anonymous
by Anonymous 2 on Nov. 11, 2016 at 10:28 AM
3 moms liked this
I very rarely disagree with you. Actually, this might be the first.

I think it is hugely important to show large numbers against racism, sexism, and homophobia right now.
susannah2000
by Ruby Member on Nov. 11, 2016 at 10:35 AM
2 moms liked this

Why do you think you should tell people that they have no right to express political dissent? I think you should move to North Korea or Iran. They don't hold with that either. Here, people have the right to say and do whatever they want to, peacefully and legally, about political matters. it's called freedom of speech, and to say that those who do it are spoiled entitled brats or whatever, and that they need to stop and just accept a  President only HALF of the country wanted, says more about you than about them.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)