• In the Spotlight:
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

FIRE DESTROYED OUR HOME.

Posted by on Nov. 11, 2016 at 9:36 AM
  • 8 Replies
1 mom liked this

THIS IS SOMETHING I POST EVERY YEAR IN ALL MY GROUPS JUST AS A REMINDER .I know most of you do fire safety with your family but you do have occasions that parents may think their child is to young to teach fire safety . A child as young as 3 can be taught escape routes in case of fire and some even at 2.

I have posted this in my groups and on facebook every year since this happened in 2009 . Just that time of year when we need to check our fire alarms and be extra careful with Christmas decorations.I feel like sharing our story could help someone to take that extra time to teach their children or grandchildren fire safety and this could easily been a story with a completely different ending.
ABOUT FIRE SAFETY*********

I don't know why this has been on my mind so strong lately but I'm afraid a lot of people postpone fire safety in the home until its to late.About a little over a year ago I was in my bedroom on the computer. My husband had gone outside to feed his animals. Our son was asleep in his room and my SIL was on the sofa in the LR.She was staying with us while recovering from foot surgery.
I kept hearing a popping sound from the kitchen. I thought one of the dogs had got in the trash so I went out to investigate and was shocked. Fire was leaping from my kitchen range to the ceiling.I ran to the LR and beat on the wall to our son's room telling him to go out the window as the fire was right at his bedroom door by then.I grabbed my SIL up and half dragged her with me.I headed to the den door. She got tired and sat down on me right in the hallway.I got my husbands attention and he helped get her the rest of the way. By now he had seen the fire and was trying to get the waterhose to work. This happened right after a snow and icestorm so the hose was froze up.I was barefoot and had nothing on but a tee shirt and pj bottoms.My feet froze to the ground trying to get my SIL to the car. After making sure my son was out I drove to all the neighbors trying to find someone home to call the fire dept. Looking back I saw the house was totally engulfed now. I couldn't believe it. It had only been about 5 minutes since I first saw the fire.I finally had to drive to a local store just to call and by that time the house was on the ground.
We lost everything we owned that day but it was ok. We all were fine and all my dogs got out.We rebuilt and was back in our new home in about 8 months.
The reason I wanted to tell this is where the moms could see how important it is to teach your children a way out of the home from every room and a designated meeting place once outside.Do drills with them until you are sure they understand. A child of 3 can even understand these instructions.Please take the time to do this.And make sure your fire alarms are in good working order. Mine did not go off that day until I was almost out. Never did know why.Found out later that my husband had put something on to cook and had forgot it.I never would have dreamed how fast fire could spread. Another thing. By the time we were halfway out the thick black smoke was about to catch up with us.That is the real hazard in a home where everyone is asleep. The smoke just puts you in a deeper sleep.I hope anyone reading this takes it serious and if you aren't already doing drills with your family,that you will start immediately.

ADD ON.

I like to remind everyone this time of year about the danger of fire.It was on January 20th this happened to us but with the cold weather and Christmas lights it's best to think of this now. We have a new home and don't miss anything we lost except pictures and some old antiques of my husbands grandmother's that had sentimental value. I don't think I told this in the last journal but there was a picture of my husbands grandmother and grandfather that I know was in a closet where I was making a scrapbook.Two days after the fire my husband was looking around and there was a single chair that had not compleatly burned that had fallen through to the basement. He saw something sticking up from the side and retrived it.It was the picture of his grandparents. I have always thought God saved that for him and gave it to him to comfort him and to remind him they were with him and were waiting on him to join them one day.Be safe everyone and thanks for reading.

by on Nov. 11, 2016 at 9:36 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-8):
Momtoone07
by Emerald Member on Nov. 11, 2016 at 9:42 AM
I'm sorry that happened to you and your family. I grew up in a FF/EMS home, so I am crazy about fire safety. My parents also lost their house, right before I was born, to a fire. My ex boyfriends (boyfriend at the time) parents house burned down on NYD because of Christmas lights. It can happen to anyone, at any time. Thank you for sharing your story and I am thankful no life was lost!
Jemprincess
by Member on Nov. 11, 2016 at 9:55 AM
I'm glad you're posting for others safety when I was 8 my house burned down they could never figure out what caused the fire it was electrical and it wasn't a lit candle

Quoting Momtoone07: I'm sorry that happened to you and your family. I grew up in a FF/EMS home, so I am crazy about fire safety. My parents also lost their house, right before I was born, to a fire. My ex boyfriends (boyfriend at the time) parents house burned down on NYD because of Christmas lights. It can happen to anyone, at any time. Thank you for sharing your story and I am thankful no life was lost!
OrangeBalloon
by Emerald Member on Nov. 11, 2016 at 9:58 AM

I am so glad that all of you made it out safely. A fire is one of those things I have nightmares about. 

My father was a volunteer fire fighter. So fire safety has been deeply ingrained in me. We practice fire drills twice a year in my home. I know some my think that's paranoid but my dd is only 7. I want to be certain that she knows exactly what to do. One of the scariest things my father told me is that little kids will panic and they will hide or try to wait for their parents to come and get them. But you can't always do that because as you pointed out, fires spread so fast, you simply may not have time. So our little ones need to know what to do without us. The best way to ensure that is physically practice. Have them practice opening a door, staying low to the ground, and finding an exit. It could save their life. 

Momtoone07
by Emerald Member on Nov. 11, 2016 at 9:59 AM
My parents was also electrical. They had heat tape on their pipes that malfunctioned. My boyfriends parents had a brand new lit Angel on top of their tree they had bought from Wal-Mart that malfunctioned, too.

Quoting Jemprincess: I'm glad you're posting for others safety when I was 8 my house burned down they could never figure out what caused the fire it was electrical and it wasn't a lit candle

Quoting Momtoone07: I'm sorry that happened to you and your family. I grew up in a FF/EMS home, so I am crazy about fire safety. My parents also lost their house, right before I was born, to a fire. My ex boyfriends (boyfriend at the time) parents house burned down on NYD because of Christmas lights. It can happen to anyone, at any time. Thank you for sharing your story and I am thankful no life was lost!
Anonymous
by Anonymous 1 on Nov. 11, 2016 at 10:00 AM
Thank you for sharing! My dad and little brother are both career and volunteer firefighters so fire safety is a big thing in my family!
Momtoone07
by Emerald Member on Nov. 11, 2016 at 10:01 AM
If they know what to do, they will do it. If they have never been taught, they are way more likely, waaay more likely, to hide. And smoke detectors. So important. You rarely hear of deaths in fires when there are working smoke detectors.

Quoting OrangeBalloon:

I am so glad that all of you made it out safely. A fire is one of those things I have nightmares about. 

My father was a volunteer fire fighter. So fire safety has been deeply ingrained in me. We practice fire drills twice a year in my home. I know some my think that's paranoid but my dd is only 7. I want to be certain that she knows exactly what to do. One of the scariest things my father told me is that little kids will panic and they will hide or try to wait for their parents to come and get them. But you can't always do that because as you pointed out, fires spread so fast, you simply may not have time. So our little ones need to know what to do without us. The best way to ensure that is physically practice. Have them practice opening a door, staying low to the ground, and finding an exit. It could save their life. 

bluebunnybabe
by kid crack dealer on Nov. 11, 2016 at 10:03 AM
Great post. I'm glad everyone was ok. Thanks for sharing!
Anonymous
by Anonymous 2 on Nov. 11, 2016 at 10:11 AM
Last October the house directly behind me caught fire. They lost two out of their three children. It took hours to find the bodies of the two children. It was just awful. Now just stands a huge empty lot behind my house. The house was mainly wood so I'm sure it spread quickly once it started.

It's just so scary. When my first was born and I was exhausted I fell asleep while boiling cinnamon sticks for tea. I'm so glad that I woke up in time before disaster happened. I woke up and smelled burning. Luckily all that happened was that my pot was destroyed and I had no tea. It could have ended up a lot worse.
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)