Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Just so everyone knows... Yes he can overturn SCOTUS rulings with the proper appointments.

Posted by on Nov. 11, 2016 at 11:12 AM
  • 15 Replies

Decisions made by the U.S. Supreme Court can be overturned by either a constitutional amendment or by a future U.S. Supreme Court decisionSupreme Court decisions can also be countered or circumvented by new legislation.

If Trump appoints a highly Conservative Supreme court Judge, the future votes can overturn past rulings.

Gay marriage could be gone, 

Abortion could be gone, 

Paths to citizenship could be gone,

Environmental protection could be gone, 

Religious freedom could be gone, (Because yeah- Christianity is not the only religion in this country)

I know there will be plenty of you that think this is ridiculous, but look around - your fellow Americans do not find this trivial. If you refuse to pay attention now, the time to talk will be come and gone... 

by on Nov. 11, 2016 at 11:12 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
Mrs_Sweet
by Gold Member on Nov. 11, 2016 at 11:58 AM
This terrifies me as well.

Several years ago, I was having this conversation with my hubby and friends, and they all thought I was crazy.

Now here we are with a republican congress, a Supreme Court judge to be appointed by a republican, and a republican in the White House whose vp has a scary history with attacking women's rights.
Anonymous
by Anonymous 1 on Nov. 11, 2016 at 12:00 PM

More fear mongering by brainwashed mindless morons. Bye.

sandylanes270
by Platinum Member on Nov. 11, 2016 at 12:01 PM
Someone bumped an old post from you saying that you're moving to France if Trump wins. Is that still a go? Or was it someone else?
Anonymous
by Anonymous 2 on Nov. 11, 2016 at 12:03 PM
It's not going to happen.
Anonymous
by Anonymous 3 on Nov. 11, 2016 at 12:04 PM
The judge he is replacing was a conservative judge. The concern comes if he gets to appoint more.
Anonymous
by Anonymous 4 on Nov. 11, 2016 at 12:12 PM
Wasn't a republican one of those on the court that agreed with gay marriage making it legal?
Reading.Rainbow
by Brigid on Nov. 11, 2016 at 12:15 PM

Quoting sandylanes270: Someone bumped an old post from you saying that you're moving to France if Trump wins. Is that still a go? Or was it someone else?

We're still in the process of buying a home there...

However my thoughts on moving may have changed. I was in a Politics class the other day and people were talking about the ones that were going to leave the country if he won...People were sobbing. Sobbing .

I was saying I was one of the ones who wanted to leave, and three people stood up and said "If everyone who doesn't like this leaves who will still be here to fight for us ? It's abandoning us to fight for our rights by ourselves, we can't win equality alone"

I'm at a very conflicted point... I don't want to be here...at all. But they're right also...

I'm not sure what to do.

Anonymous
by Anonymous 5 on Nov. 11, 2016 at 12:16 PM

People still insist this can't happen, but it already has.

June 29, 1972. Furman vs Georgia. The death penalty was declared unconsitutional. 

And yet, five years later, it was back.

"But that's different" you say. "Capital punishment is needed for bad guys" you say. 19 states disagree. 

It is very possible that the progress since Roe v Wade could be undone. It is definitely possible that Obergefell v Hodges could be undone. 

And that is scary.

Reading.Rainbow
by Brigid on Nov. 11, 2016 at 12:16 PM

Quoting Anonymous 1:

More fear mongering by brainwashed mindless morons. Bye.

Ok. So we'll mark you down as one of the ones who doesn't give a shit about anyone else's issues...

Point taken.

But don't be surprised when people are protesting in the streets. There should be nothing shocking about it.

Anonymous
by Anonymous 6 on Nov. 11, 2016 at 12:16 PM
Gone on the federal level, if those decisions are over turned state laws take back over. Which is why state elections are just as important as federal elections.
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)