Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Do people usually get buried with jewelry?

Anonymous
Posted by Anonymous
  • 11 Replies
Dhs cousins are in a huge fight

Their mom passed and during the funeral preparations, the director asked if she was to be buried with anything and mentioned jewelry.

She never took off her wedding and engagement rings. The engagement ring was worth something like $10,000. The older sister said no, take it off and give it to them as a memento. Younger sister said no, she loved it she should be buried with it. Older sister eventually made the point that burying thousands of dollar is ridiculous, and that it would be nice for them to have it to remember her by.

DH sides with the younger sister, I see older sisters point.
Posted by Anonymous on Nov. 11, 2016 at 1:03 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
Pink.Sunshine
by Petty Princess on Nov. 11, 2016 at 1:05 PM
It depends on the wishes of the deceased before they died
Anonymous
by Anonymous 2 on Nov. 11, 2016 at 1:06 PM
That's why you have a will
SAHMJC
by Emerald Member on Nov. 11, 2016 at 1:06 PM
No people are usually not buried with jewelry or if they are it's usually costume jewelry to look nice at the viewing. The reason for that is it incentivize grave robbers. $10,000 is a really good reason to break into her grave. Also when her body bloats and decomposes it will literally break her finger off. Not that she'll care but in the end she won't be wearing it anyway
702girly
by on Nov. 11, 2016 at 1:07 PM

I can see both of their sides. 

Personally I think it's revolting that we bury corpses at all. I'm not a fan of corpse gardens. 

Anonymous
by Anonymous 3 on Nov. 11, 2016 at 1:08 PM
If nothing was left stating what to do with it, I'd bury it with mom.
Anonymous
by Anonymous 4 on Nov. 11, 2016 at 1:08 PM
Everyone I know had a will that stated what would happen with all of that.
Anonymous
by Anonymous 5 on Nov. 11, 2016 at 1:08 PM
I would go by what the wishes of the deceased were. Is there a will/living trust that has her wishes listed? If not I would leave it alone.

Personally when I go, I'm leaving that kind of stuff to my kids. If they don't want it they can sell it.
Shadesgirl
by Bronze Member on Nov. 11, 2016 at 1:09 PM
Not at any funeral I have been too. It is always removed before burial especially of it is worth anything. I agree with older sister. I have my grandma's wedding rings I wear them on my right hand.
Anonymous
by Anonymous 6 on Nov. 11, 2016 at 1:44 PM
Keep it, sell it, split it between the kids.
hikinggirl4
by on Nov. 11, 2016 at 1:48 PM
In my case I took my late husbands wedding band off. We left his watch and all his military metals on.
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)