Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

ADHD Medication Question

Anonymous
Posted by Anonymous
  • 18 Replies

Hello!

I'm wondering if any of you are aware of any ADHD drugs similar to Straterra that are less expensive?  Thanks to OBAMAshitCare, my insurance does not cover prescription drugs until my $6000 deductible is met and therefore, even with the Straterra discount card thing, I still have to pay $306/month.  

It's bullshit and I can't wait for Obamashitcare to be repealed and just maybe insurance will be decent again.

In the meantime, I'm looking for a different medication that might be covered and it has to be a NON-STIMULANT.  We tried the stimulants and they were not best for my child and I simply cannot afford $306/month. 

Thanks so much for your help!

Posted by Anonymous on Nov. 11, 2016 at 1:30 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
Anonymous
by Anonymous 2 on Nov. 11, 2016 at 1:32 PM

my son is supposed to be on that, but we can't afford it and no matter how hard I searched, even asked a friend who is a pharmacist, still no luck, so he goes without.

momwriter
by on Nov. 11, 2016 at 1:34 PM

you should discuss with your dr or even the pharmacist...You can also research online if you want to propose a medication for your dr to prescribe.

Anonymous
by Anonymous 3 on Nov. 11, 2016 at 1:34 PM
Unfortunately strattera is non generic. Have you tried Concerta? It has a generic so it's much less expensive. You can try giving him or her caffeine to help booster if needed.
sam12796
by Ruby Member on Nov. 11, 2016 at 1:36 PM
Something you can do is call the maker of the drug. Perhaps they can give you coupons or samples to get by. Discuss with his doctor the financial burden. They may be able to help as well.
Anonymous
by Anonymous 1 - Original Poster on Nov. 11, 2016 at 1:36 PM

It's going to end up the same for me.  We are in the process of looking for new insurance.  I have maybe 10 left from his first script which was only $25 and after that, it's just going to be gone.  I just keep hoping next year we can have decent insurance again but I'm not hopeful since it looks like decent insurance will cost us more than just paying for it out of pocket.  We're probably going to take the penalty and only have catastrophic coverage. 

But the welfare people can shit out their babies 24/7 for free. 

Quoting Anonymous 2:

my son is supposed to be on that, but we can't afford it and no matter how hard I searched, even asked a friend who is a pharmacist, still no luck, so he goes without.

mama_danetta
by She's so heavy on Nov. 11, 2016 at 1:36 PM
Ask his doctor if they have samples.
Ted1242
by I'm listening. on Nov. 11, 2016 at 1:37 PM
Same here. I'd even asked his pediatrician for something similar. He said there wasn't anything. We looked for coupons, and even tried the Wal Mart pharmacy. Nope.

Quoting Anonymous 2:

Anonymous
by Anonymous 1 - Original Poster on Nov. 11, 2016 at 1:39 PM

I've done that with the company.  The max they will give per script is $75.  The original cost of the drug is $381.00.  

But thank you for trying to help.  I plan on calling the doctor.  I'm just trying to do some research on my own to see what I can find out.  When he prescribed the stimulant drug, we went through this just trying to find one of those that was appropriate and not horribly expensive.  That's why I hesitate to call the doctors office again.  They've already done this for me with that drug.  They did the same thing for Straterra, but they have no way of knowing what my useless insurance will or will not cover.

Quoting sam12796: Something you can do is call the maker of the drug. Perhaps they can give you coupons or samples to get by. Discuss with his doctor the financial burden. They may be able to help as well.

Anonymous
by Anonymous 1 - Original Poster on Nov. 11, 2016 at 1:40 PM

That's why I'm here asking people who might have an idea of what drugs to look at.  Thanks for trying to help!  I appreciate it!

Quoting momwriter:

you should discuss with your dr or even the pharmacist...You can also research online if you want to propose a medication for your dr to prescribe.

Anonymous
by Anonymous 1 - Original Poster on Nov. 11, 2016 at 1:40 PM

My kid cannot handle stimulant ADHD meds.  Only non-stimulant. 

Thanks for trying to help though.  I really appreciate it. 

Quoting Anonymous 3: Unfortunately strattera is non generic. Have you tried Concerta? It has a generic so it's much less expensive. You can try giving him or her caffeine to help booster if needed.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)