Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

i cant believe i have to carry this s*** around.....

Anonymous
Posted by Anonymous
  • 80 Replies

so I have poliosis, which is a hereditary white "chunk" of hair and sometimes white birthmarks around where the chunk of hair is as well. when I used to dye my hair black I would use hair chalk and cover it up so no one noticed because I was embarrassed by it honestly. I've grown to love it but it's still a constant fight with employers. I don't dye my hair anymore and they don't exactly make hair chalk in the color of my non white hair. I literally have to staple a Dr's diagnoses to my resume stating why I have white hair and it still looked over, even if I'm the most qualified person.

I can't believe this is an issue but it is....

Posted by Anonymous on Nov. 11, 2016 at 1:40 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
Anonymous
by Anonymous 2 on Nov. 11, 2016 at 1:42 PM

Wow. That's insane.... sorry.

Anonymous
by Anonymous 3 on Nov. 11, 2016 at 1:43 PM
I have seen people in all jobs with chunks of different colored hair. Tattoos and piercings. What do you do for a living.
Nice_Dragon
by Platinum Member on Nov. 11, 2016 at 1:44 PM
I wanna seeeee!
Anonymous
by Anonymous 1 - Original Poster on Nov. 11, 2016 at 1:45 PM

im an ultrasound tech currently but i had to jump through hoops to be hired as one, even getting into school was a hassle. the teachers tried kicking me out because it wasnt "professional". before this i tried being a receptionist at a hotel, a vet clinic, a large company. even managers hassled me when i was a waitress. 

Quoting Anonymous 3: I have seen people in all jobs with chunks of different colored hair. Tattoos and piercings. What do you do for a living.

Anonymous
by Anonymous 1 - Original Poster on Nov. 11, 2016 at 1:45 PM

i dont post pictures on here sorry.

Quoting Nice_Dragon: I wanna seeeee!

MommyOfOne2710
by Platinum Member on Nov. 11, 2016 at 1:45 PM
1 mom liked this
I'm having a hard time picturing this. Do you have a picture?
Anonymous
by Anonymous 1 - Original Poster on Nov. 11, 2016 at 1:46 PM

i wont post a picture of myself but google poliosis, theres a ton of pictures.

Quoting MommyOfOne2710: I'm having a hard time picturing this. Do you have a picture?

Anonymous
by Anonymous 4 on Nov. 11, 2016 at 1:47 PM
What kind of work do you do? Are your looks important to your job? They can't discriminate but if it's keeping you from getting a job I'd dye it- black is harsh color depending on your skin tone what about a golden brown?
My bank had a teller who had alopecia and was mostly bald with a few wispy patches. I heard people call her Golum. Anyway I always made a point to go to her when I had something I needed to go inside for because I'd see other people not go to her on purpose. Appearances matter unfortunately
janedoedoh
by Bronze Member on Nov. 11, 2016 at 1:47 PM
I just googled it.

So OP, that piece of hair cannot be dyed?

Quoting MommyOfOne2710: I'm having a hard time picturing this. Do you have a picture?
Anonymous
by Anonymous 1 - Original Poster on Nov. 11, 2016 at 1:48 PM

dye wont stick, hence why i had to use chalk to cover it up

Quoting Anonymous 4: What kind of work do you do? Are your looks important to your job? They can't discriminate but if it's keeping you from getting a job I'd dye it- black is harsh color depending on your skin tone what about a golden brown? My bank had a teller who had alopecia and was mostly bald with a few wispy patches. I heard people call her Golum. Anyway I always made a point to go to her when I had something I needed to go inside for because I'd see other people not go to her on purpose. Appearances matter unfortunately

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)