Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

How much homework does your 2nd grader have?

Posted by on Nov. 11, 2016 at 3:00 PM
  • 15 Replies

Ifeel like my son gets too much. He leaves for school at 8:15 am and returns just before 4; it's a long day and he just wants to play and relax afterwards. Last night he had a math worksheet, a cursive letter-writing worksheet and had to practice math facts on Xtramath.org and read for 15 minutes. How much hw does/did your 2nd grader get? Our school district ranks high, btw, so maybe I should be happy but it's such a struggle getting him to do it all :(

by on Nov. 11, 2016 at 3:00 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
Anonymous
by Anonymous 1 on Nov. 11, 2016 at 3:01 PM

Just weekly spelling words. She has a test every Friday, so we practice the words for a few minutes each evening. Other than that, no homework.

Anonymous
by Anonymous 2 on Nov. 11, 2016 at 3:02 PM
He practices spelling words, reading words and he reads part of a chapter book to me. If he has a test coming up besides spelling, we study for that. Typically we get his homework finished in the car while waiting for siblings at the junior high.
Anonymous
by Anonymous 3 on Nov. 11, 2016 at 3:03 PM

My son is supposed to read for twenty minutes every day, and he gets anywhere between one and four worksheets every week...he brings his homework folder home on Mondays and returns all of the assignments on Fridays. Most of the time, it's one or two worksheets.

Ted1242
by I'm listening. on Nov. 11, 2016 at 3:06 PM
So, that's daily? It has to be turned in every morning?

One of my second graders gets 20 minutes reading, 20 minutes of dream box, and occasionally a project. But that's not due until the end of the week.

The other, he'll have 20 reading, 20 dream box, 20 Lexia. And sometimes some math pages.
KendallsMommee
by Spoiled SAHM on Nov. 11, 2016 at 3:07 PM
When DD was in second grade, she received a homework packet every Monday and it was due the following Monday.

Every day they had to read for 20 minutes, write a paragraph about it, a math sheet, and a science or social studies sheet.
spunky946
by Ruby Member on Nov. 11, 2016 at 3:08 PM
My dd gets a worksheet of English and maybe one for math
smorgan865
by Ruby Member on Nov. 11, 2016 at 3:09 PM
A math worksheet, a page of spelling practice, and reading of 20 minutes.

It takes him maybe 20 minutes of the spelling/math and then he reads before bed (usually for much longer than 20 minutes).
Anonymous
by Anonymous 4 on Nov. 11, 2016 at 3:10 PM
She doesn't get much... a bit of reading every night.
Anonymous
by Anonymous 5 on Nov. 11, 2016 at 3:11 PM
The elementary tries to follow the rule of 10 minutes of homework for every grade level. So 2nd would be about 20 minutes of homework, not including 30 minutes of mandatory reading.
Typically though, it was never more than a math worksheet, about 5 minutes of work for my kids, and practicing spelling words.
fullxbusymom
by Sapphire Member on Nov. 11, 2016 at 3:13 PM

That doesn't sound like much at all.  That is about how much we have Xtramath takes literally 2 mins and all of that can be done under 45mins. 

So give him an hour to play and then 30mins before dinner and 15mins before bed. 

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)