Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

She wants to bring a 15 year old thief to my house on Thanksgiving?

Anonymous
Posted by Anonymous
  • 71 Replies
My aunt just told me 15 minutes ago that she is bringing her husband's 15 year old nephew to my home on Thanksgiving because she took custody of him last week. The kids steals from people's houses, skips school, he smokes pot, he has anger issues and run ins with the cops. I know it's Thanksgiving but....this kid is a stranger to me and I'm uncomfortable having him in my home. I told my aunt this and now she's pissed and said if he can't come then they aren't coming over for Thanksgiving. I feel like a jerk but I've got enough going on on Thanksgiving without having to watch this kid whenever he walks out of the room....my aunt won't watch him because she's not vigilant like that, she parents her own 7 year old from the couch and he's hell on wheels as it is. Now she's going to take on a troubled 15 year old? It's a recipe for disaster. I'm just not sure which is the right decision in this situation.. ..
Posted by Anonymous on Nov. 11, 2016 at 5:16 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
Anonymous
by Anonymous 2 on Nov. 11, 2016 at 5:19 PM
1 mom liked this
Maybe you shouldve trusted she took custody to straighten him out and allowed her to show she had a handle on it.
Jasuzha
by Ruby Member on Nov. 11, 2016 at 5:19 PM
3 moms liked this
I wouldn't be comfortable with a stranger who has a criminal past in my home either.
Anonymous
by Anonymous 3 on Nov. 11, 2016 at 5:20 PM
I don't blame you.
tsatske2
by Latricia on Nov. 11, 2016 at 5:21 PM

He is obviously a very troubled kid. Try welcomeing him in the family This does not nec. mean instant, total trust, he is old enough to be responsible for his choices, and his choices have made it hard to trust him. There are ways to let him know he's welcomes and loved but has some work to do earning trust.

Denecia
by Silver Member on Nov. 11, 2016 at 5:21 PM
3 moms liked this
I agree with this. I am a foster mom who has taken in kids who have been known to steal. So far it hasn't happened to us.

Quoting Anonymous 2: Maybe you shouldve trusted she took custody to straighten him out and allowed her to show she had a handle on it.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Anonymous
by Anonymous 4 on Nov. 11, 2016 at 5:23 PM
1 mom liked this
No way I'd let him come into my house, be around my kids and valuables. It would be impossible to watch him the whole time, and aside from the thievery, if he has anger issues I would worry about my kids and pets, too.
caustinb
by Ruby Member on Nov. 11, 2016 at 5:23 PM
1 mom liked this
This. Lock up your valuables, but he's still a kid. He needs a family that shows him forgiveness and kindness.

Quoting tsatske2:

He is obviously a very troubled kid. Try welcomeing him in the family This does not nec. mean instant, total trust, he is old enough to be responsible for his choices, and his choices have made it hard to trust him. There are ways to let him know he's welcomes and loved but has some work to do earning trust.

Dardenella
by Ruby Member on Nov. 11, 2016 at 5:23 PM

Well you should expect that unless the  child  has visitation with his parents, that they would not be able to come without him.

I would not want him there either.  If this was a problem the child had been working through and concoring I might feel otherwise but as far as I can see this is not even close to the case.  I would tell my aunt that you will miss them but you are uncomfortable having him there (casing your home) and being around your children.

Tell her you hope that they can get through to this young man and that he ends up going down a good road but he is not on that road yet.

Anonymous
by Anonymous 2 on Nov. 11, 2016 at 5:24 PM
1 mom liked this
Yes!

Quoting caustinb: This. Lock up your valuables, but he's still a kid. He needs a family that shows him forgiveness and kindness.

Quoting tsatske2:

lenashark
by Emerald Member on Nov. 11, 2016 at 5:24 PM
2 moms liked this

He's her kid now, you can't expect her to leave him behind on Thanksgiving. Showing the kid some kindness could be what he needs. Maybe talk to her about it and say that you would like to have him, but she needs to take responsibility and promise to keep an eye on him.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)