• In the Spotlight:
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Amazon has to pay parents millions.

Posted by on Nov. 11, 2016 at 6:40 PM
  • 89 Replies
PLANNED PAYBACK
Amazon must refund millions of dollars to parents whose kids made in-app purchases
Like UpGruv on Facebook
Posted by Tory N. Parrish
Nov 11, 2016

Amazon is gearing up for its busiest time of the year -- the holiday shopping season -- but it now has to add another task to its to-do list: figuring out how it will refund millions of dollars.

A judge in Seattle has ordered the online retailer to start organizing the process of refunding millions of dollars to parents whose children made in-app purchases without their permission, NBC News reported via Reuters.

The ruling is the result of a lawsuit filed in July 2014 by the Federal Trade Commission, which accused Amazon of not having enough measures in place to prevent kids from running up high bills while playing games, such as "Pet Shop Story" and "Ice Age Village," on mobile devices.

The FTC estimated that about $86 million in unauthorized charges were accrued, but Amazon disputed that amount.

The company also said it was improving its app store's security, but U.S. District Judge John Coughenour found the company liable in April, according to TechRadar.

The FTC wanted Amazon to pay $26.5 million in a lump sum but the judge ordered the company to set up a process in early 2017 in which parents will be notified that they are eligible for refunds and file claims to be reimbursed.

Amazon wanted to grant the refunds on gift cards, but Coughenour nixed that idea because the company would have recaptured "some of the profits that are at issue," he said.

http://www.upgruv.com/amazon-must-refund-2089745417.html

Just curious on what some of you thought about this. Is Amazon the big bad retailer or are parents just stupid and/or lazy?
by on Nov. 11, 2016 at 6:40 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
Ted1242
by I'm listening. on Nov. 11, 2016 at 6:42 PM
8 moms liked this
Are you quite fucking serious right now. So my favorite place to shop has to refund money to lazy parents with shitty kids.
Anonymous
by Anonymous 1 on Nov. 11, 2016 at 6:42 PM
2 moms liked this
I am going to say it is the parents fault.
superwoman8977
by Gold Member on Nov. 11, 2016 at 6:43 PM
1 mom liked this
yay!! I will get a refund, my dd rang up 87.00 before because they dont make them use a password. Account is now password protected.
Danesmommy1
by Grammar Enthusiast on Nov. 11, 2016 at 6:44 PM
1 mom liked this
Right?! DS would be paying me back, not Amazon!

Quoting Ted1242: Are you quite fucking serious right now. So my favorite place to shop has to refund money to lazy parents with shitty kids.
poietes
by Laura on Nov. 11, 2016 at 6:44 PM
Right? Who hands their child an electronic hooked up to the credit card and not password protect it?

Quoting Ted1242: Are you quite fucking serious right now. So my favorite place to shop has to refund money to lazy parents with shitty kids.
Ted1242
by I'm listening. on Nov. 11, 2016 at 6:45 PM
2 moms liked this
All of these fuckers.

Quoting poietes: Right? Who hands their child an electronic hooked up to the credit card and not password protect it?

poietes
by Laura on Nov. 11, 2016 at 6:45 PM
3 moms liked this
Who is they? Personally I call it stupid tax on the parents part.

Quoting superwoman8977: yay!! I will get a refund, my dd rang up 87.00 before because they dont make them use a password. Account is now password protected.
superwoman8977
by Gold Member on Nov. 11, 2016 at 6:48 PM
1 mom liked this
All of the kindles are under one account with credit card attached. Didnt realize that till we got the charges, wish each kindle had its own account. Its not parents fault.

Quoting poietes: Who is they? Personally I call it stupid tax on the parents part.

Quoting superwoman8977: yay!! I will get a refund, my dd rang up 87.00 before because they dont make them use a password. Account is now password protected.
poietes
by Laura on Nov. 11, 2016 at 6:48 PM
1 mom liked this
I guess, one lady was just on the news said her kid raked up $3000! Whe I "purchase" a free show on Amazon prime I get an email. How do they let it get up to $3000. I call it stupid tax.

Quoting Ted1242: All of these fuckers.

Quoting poietes: Right? Who hands their child an electronic hooked up to the credit card and not password protect it?

Anonymous
by Anonymous 2 on Nov. 11, 2016 at 6:48 PM
I'm confused because I have my account locked on my kindle. Even on my old one (the very first Kindle Fire).

Seems silly.
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)