Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Setting realistic weight loss goals

Posted by on Nov. 11, 2016 at 6:48 PM
  • 24 Replies
For those that have a lot to lose did you make smaller goals?

I'm trying to decide if I should just set goals in 15 pound increments or if I should do it some other way.

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
by on Nov. 11, 2016 at 6:48 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
Boobear110
by Gold Member on Nov. 11, 2016 at 6:51 PM

Set it at 15 pound increments that way the number won't overwhelm you . Trust me I've been there . 

Good luck 

Anonymous
by Anonymous 1 on Nov. 11, 2016 at 6:51 PM
1 mom liked this
My first goals had nothing to to with weight. I told myself I was gonna wake up and walk 2 miles every morning. That was easy to do. Never even weighed myself. Just realized one day that I needed a smaller jean size.
Happymom52
by on Nov. 11, 2016 at 6:52 PM
1 mom liked this

I try and do that.  I just started using this app called Myfitnesspal and it keeps me accountable for what I eat and how much I exercise.  I tried Weight Watchers and didn't have the time, but more importantly, I was uncomfortable talking about this in front of people I didn't know.  My goal is 10 pounds at a time, in two weeks I have lost 6....more to go!!!!  Good luck!

OwlNuggets
by HAIL NUGGY! on Nov. 11, 2016 at 6:53 PM

I've never made weight loss goals with numbers in mind. Maybe it's because I'm a hippy dippy artist type, but my goal was to be able to stand in front of the mirror and be happy with what I saw regardless of what the numbers on the scale said.

Mom-to-2kids
by Sapphire Member on Nov. 11, 2016 at 6:53 PM
I never set weight goals, I set move goals
Anonymous
by Anonymous 2 on Nov. 11, 2016 at 7:03 PM

The best advice I can give you is to set an overall goal and forget about it.

When you keep focusing on it, it becomes a mild or heavily unhealthy obsession.  It seems women focus so much on how much they are losing that is can actually cause unwanted stress and cause you to gain more. 

The best weight lost is weight that you didn't know you were losing.  Have a plan in place.  I can tell you how I dropped 9lbs in less than three weeks and 10lbs in two if you want.  I got sick so my weight is up a bit again due to steroids and those were at two different times this year.   You can drop a lot quickly and it not be a bad thing because of water weight or cleansings and so on.

Anonymous
by Anonymous 2 on Nov. 11, 2016 at 7:19 PM
1 mom liked this

I used to use that app.  It was great, but for me I got a bit obsessive with it.  I just put in a goal and while I loved the calorie counting, I lost so much more weight when I didn't.  Of course, I realized sleeping eight hours, eating three times a day, and how I ate helped a lot more.  It did help me a lot though at first.  I realized I didn't actually eat even 1000 calories a day, but when I started forcing myself to eat, I think I gained weight and lost it very slowly.  I don't even know much I eat now.  I just eat until I don't feel any hunger so it might be even less than a 1000.

I am happy to hear people had success with it.  I've suggested it to a few people looking to lose weight.

Quoting Happymom52:

I try and do that.  I just started using this app called Myfitnesspal and it keeps me accountable for what I eat and how much I exercise.  I tried Weight Watchers and didn't have the time, but more importantly, I was uncomfortable talking about this in front of people I didn't know.  My goal is 10 pounds at a time, in two weeks I have lost 6....more to go!!!!  Good luck!

Roxygurl
by Sapphire Member on Nov. 11, 2016 at 7:32 PM
It is an obsession. I had goal, one my doctor sorta imposed and it worked. Now I'm trying to get to a healthy weight. I'm not giving my self a time frame just a 'ok next goal is 15 pounds'

It's been a lifestyle change for me and it's working and I want to continue on that path because the lose weight quickly diets and cleanses don't work long term and I think at this point would be detrimental to me.

Quoting Anonymous 2:

The best advice I can give you is to set an overall goal and forget about it.

When you keep focusing on it, it becomes a mild or heavily unhealthy obsession.  It seems women focus so much on how much they are losing that is can actually cause unwanted stress and cause you to gain more.  The best weight lost is weight that you didn't know you were losing.  Have a plan in place.  I can tell you how I dropped 9lbs in less than three weeks and 10lbs in two if you want.  I got sick so my weight is up a bit again due to steroids and those were at two different times this year.   You can drop a lot quickly and it not be a bad thing because of water weight or cleansings and so on.

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Roxygurl
by Sapphire Member on Nov. 11, 2016 at 7:33 PM
I'm doing that too, I go to the gym every other day....I was supposed to go Thursday but I felt like crap so I went today instead and will most likely go tomorrow as well.

Quoting Mom-to-2kids: I never set weight goals, I set move goals
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Anonymous
by Anonymous 3 on Nov. 11, 2016 at 7:40 PM
1 mom liked this
I set my goals 10 pounds at a time. I use my fitness pal and go to the gym 4 times a week. So far I've lost 18 pounds.
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)