Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Public breastfeeding

Anonymous
Posted by Anonymous
  • 22 Replies
So I work at a retail store. I was putting the clothes out one the racks and seen a young woman holding a very small baby. I LOVE babies so I went over to se him and ask how old he was. She was breastfeeding him which I didn't notice from where I was standing before and I don't care about either. Well she got all pissy with me like I invaded her privacy or something. She gave me a dirty look and pulled her top up and let it snap onto her chest. It was an elastic spaghetti strap shirt. She didn't even answer me her husband or boyfriend did and he looked embarrassed. If u wanna breastfeed in public then go for it but don't expect privacy in a fucking store. I couldn't even tell she was doing it untill she pulled her top up. And I stayed a few feet away in the first place cuz I know people can be weirded out about strangers getting close to their babies I think she was beyond rude about it. I just smiled and said he is adorable and walked away but it has really been bothering me. Do u think woman breastfeeding in public have a right to privacy??
Posted by Anonymous on Nov. 11, 2016 at 7:36 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
l.a.m.b
by Ruby Member on Nov. 11, 2016 at 7:41 PM
I don't think you did anything wrong. If I saw a stranger bfing I wouldn't approach her, id give them space. but you didn't know.
Anonymous
by Anonymous 2 on Nov. 11, 2016 at 7:43 PM
She's crazy.
Danesmommy1
by Grammar Enthusiast on Nov. 11, 2016 at 7:43 PM
It's not her job to make you feel welcomed and comfortable in her presence.
MissAndree
by Nosuchthing on Nov. 11, 2016 at 7:44 PM

I hate being approached by strangewrs in public, period. 

PinkButterfly66
by Sapphire Member on Nov. 11, 2016 at 7:48 PM
1 mom liked this

She probably felt self conscious.  Why are you the one who is getting their panties in a wad?  You came to her and engaged her in conversation.  You invaded her space and she showed her displeasure.  Next time mind your own business and leave strangers alone.  

Anonymous
by Anonymous 1 - Original Poster on Nov. 11, 2016 at 7:51 PM
RIght. If I had seen she was breastfeeding I would never had approached her.

Quoting l.a.m.b: I don't think you did anything wrong. If I saw a stranger bfing I wouldn't approach her, id give them space. but you didn't know.
Anonymous
by Anonymous 1 - Original Poster on Nov. 11, 2016 at 7:53 PM
No but is my job to greet people in my department and offer assistance so I did that and tryed to be nice about her baby. And most people love to show off their new baby. Hell my youngest is 1 and I still love to show him off.

Quoting Danesmommy1: It's not her job to make you feel welcomed and comfortable in her presence.
white_wolf454
by Ruby Member on Nov. 11, 2016 at 7:54 PM

new moms are touchy and not all like random people near there baby 

Anonymous
by Anonymous 3 on Nov. 11, 2016 at 7:54 PM
Why are you upset? You don't know that she could have gotten rude comments before. You didn't do anything wrong, but she didn't either.
Traci_Momof2
by Ruby Member on Nov. 11, 2016 at 7:57 PM
1 mom liked this

She was very rude to you.  I did a ton of public breastfeeding.  I would never react like that if someone came up and asked about my baby, because that's the thing.  If public breastfeeding is being done correctly, you can't tell what the woman is doing unless you are right on top of her.  It just looks like she is holding her baby.  So of course she should expect people to come up and comment.

What's bad is when I was in Target today, I came around a corner in the toy aisle and saw a woman changing her baby on the cart right there in the middle of the aisle.  She was just putting the pants back on the baby and her young child was saying something about "poopy baby" at the same time.  I'm thinking 'really?  you gotta do that stinky job right there?'  That's what the changing tables in the restroom are for.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)