Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

I know I will sound like an idiot, but I'm going to ask anyways....

Anonymous
Posted by Anonymous
  • 10 Replies
Can surgery make your periods heavier?

Dd12, had emergency surgery to remove her appendix on Monday morning.

She has had her period every month like clockwork for 7 months. Always extremely light. Light enough to use a pantyliner and never an actual pad. Only lasting 2 days.

This afternoon she called me into the bathroom freaking out because, and I'll quote, "I'm pouring blood! I'm dying! Why is it pouring out of me!?"

I explained that it was just her period, but she insisted that this is way too much and she's dying.

I feel kind of silly asking, but it's got me wondering, is this normal? Like, is it normal for periods to get this much heavier after something like this? I could understand heavy bleeding had they done something with her uterus, but her appendix? Or is this just some coincidence that it just picked now to come full force and then some?

I don't want to look like some weird crazy lady calling the after hours nurse over her child's period if that's all that's going on, especially considering the doctor is now on vacation....
Idk....

Thank you for taking the time to read my ramblings though
Posted by Anonymous on Nov. 11, 2016 at 8:43 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
Medic32
by Go PREDS! on Nov. 11, 2016 at 8:51 PM
The nurses line exists for this reason.
Fuzzy.Tendrils
by on Nov. 11, 2016 at 8:54 PM
At that age periods can change. The time of month, the flow, how many days it lasts... It still couldn't hurt to call and ask her doctor about it.
Anonymous
by Anonymous 2 on Nov. 11, 2016 at 8:56 PM
I'd cqll and ask

I was always heavy even when I first ever got my period
SaskMummy
by Mandy on Nov. 11, 2016 at 8:56 PM
Maybe her body reacted to the anstetic or however you spell it .
Anonymous
by Anonymous 1 - Original Poster on Nov. 11, 2016 at 8:59 PM
I know. I've called them once today. They told me the reason her stomach was so swollen and she was in so much pain was because she need to take milk of magnesia and that her doctor was on vacation and they would have the on call doctor contact me Monday. Hence the reason I wasn't wanting to call back tonight. I was just wondering if anyone would know if this is normal....

Quoting Medic32: The nurses line exists for this reason.
Angelslight23
by Silver Member on Nov. 11, 2016 at 9:01 PM

Uh....I would so call if my teen's period was majorly out of whack like hers. You never know. Maybe something isn't right and needs medical attention. 

Ms_Smock
by Silver Member on Nov. 11, 2016 at 9:01 PM
I'd take her in especially being swollen like that
rebal
by Silver Member on Nov. 11, 2016 at 9:03 PM
I don't know if it can cause heavier periods but if she is really tender in the area of the abdomen then please take her in. I say this because after my sister had her hysterectomy she was really hurting and tender inside and she ended up having internal bleeding from the surgery. I say better safe than sorry about health matters
Anonymous
by Anonymous 1 - Original Poster on Nov. 11, 2016 at 9:05 PM
I called earlier, before the period, they said she needed milk of magnesia an that they'd have the on call doctor call back Monday.

Since she started her stomach has gotten softer (it was hard) and the swelling went down.... Ugh, I just wish her actual doctor wasn't on vacation and the on call people wouldn't tell me each time I called that it wasn't a big deal.... I feel paranoid.

Quoting Angelslight23:

Uh....I would so call if my teen's period was majorly out of whack like hers. You never know. Maybe something isn't right and needs medical attention. 

Anonymous
by Anonymous 3 on Nov. 11, 2016 at 9:13 PM

This could be normal, but they did nothing to her uterus and it could be a lot more blood.  Since she just had surgery, take her to an emergency room just in case.  It could be nothing and it's better safe than sorry. 

Nurse's lines aren't that great, imo.  Since they can't actually see the problem, they can only go by what you tell them and then guess the possible reasons.   It is better to see a doctor.  Go to the ER and have them send the report over to her actual doctor and give you a summary.  This way you can be sure that it isn't internal bleeding from the surgery.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)