• In the Spotlight:
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Are you against all price gouging at Christmas time?

Posted by on Nov. 11, 2016 at 9:48 PM
  • 33 Replies
The hatchimals are selling for about 100 bucks a piece, some on here were saying it's wrong to price gouge.

Well Nintendo just released a version of the nintendo and its selling for thousands of dollars and it's sold out everywhere.

So is it ok to price gouge the Nintendo since the target audience is probably 30 something's who had it as a kid and not a small child who still believes in Santa?
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
by on Nov. 11, 2016 at 9:48 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
Iguessiwasbad13
by Platinum Member on Nov. 11, 2016 at 9:49 PM
1 mom liked this
I don't care. I don't pay stupid prices for anything.
HellHound
by Ruby Member on Nov. 11, 2016 at 9:51 PM
I think if people are paying the price gauged prices or are upset about those prices, they may have lost sight of the true meaning of Christmas. Which is fine by me - shop away - but I won't listen to the bitching about prices or sell-outs.
Anonymous
by Anonymous 1 on Nov. 11, 2016 at 9:53 PM
I don't think either are wrong. Doesn't bother me.
Anonymous
by Anonymous 2 on Nov. 11, 2016 at 9:55 PM
1 mom liked this
I was at toys r us the other day buying presents and the cashier told me the hatchimals aren't worth the money they are going for. Some are less than $100 and she says they are just stupid.

I don't think price gauging is a smart way to buy or sell things
Anonymous
by Anonymous 3 on Nov. 11, 2016 at 9:56 PM

Free market economy - if you don't like the price, no one is forcing you to buy anything...

PaisleyBirds
by Platinum Member on Nov. 11, 2016 at 10:07 PM

It is obnoxious, but at the same time if people are willing to pay those ridiculous prices rather than wait a few months for more product to be available I guess they can go for it. I never would.  We try not to go nuts over Christmas gifts in the first place.  It would be unlikely I would be able to justify and then carry out taking such a huge chunk out of our family budget for something with a guaged price.

However, if it was one of those situations where it really meant that much to my kid (ex: they were obsessed and have been pining over this thing for months, nothing else matters to them) I would come up with some fun way to have Santa provide an IOU.  I don't know, the elves ran out of time, and he will be getting an extra special delivery in a few weeks or something.  On Christmas maybe give small components of the thing on back order.  Something to still look forward to but no way would I ever pay such an overinflated price for something.

About your original question, I guess I don't care either way.

Roxygurl
by Sapphire Member on Nov. 11, 2016 at 10:17 PM
Awe where are the protesters who say it's wrong to price gouge?
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Episkey
by Dra til helvete on Nov. 11, 2016 at 10:20 PM
I see why people do it, I just think it's a dick move
JTE11
by Ruby Member on Nov. 11, 2016 at 10:23 PM
I don't care if there is price gouging going on, nobody is forcing anyone to buy anything. Sometimes in life you don't get to have what you want, it's not a big deal.
Anonymous
by Anonymous 4 on Nov. 11, 2016 at 10:24 PM
I don't care. I am smart enough to plan ahead (Christmas is every december, birthdays fall on the same day on a yearly basis)
I buy throughout the year. When things are on sale. i also avoid promising a specific toy.
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)