Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Lawyers/legal assistants/anyone with legal knowledge

Anonymous
Posted by Anonymous
  • 5 Replies

There is no reason for this question other than curiosity. I am watching Dateline. A woman was murdered, 8 years later , 3 years after a guy is charged, the case finally goes to trial. Why does it take so long for a criminal case to go to trial in some cases?  I have seen a few cases go to trial quickly but not many. I am just curious as to why it takes so very long to bring justice to a family.

Posted by Anonymous on Nov. 11, 2016 at 9:59 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-5):
Dardenella
by Ruby Member on Nov. 11, 2016 at 10:05 PM

It can be because the lawyers are still discovering evidence or looking for individuals connected with the case.

It could be for a number of reasons.  Lawyers can ask for delays for almost any reason and it is up to the judge to decide if he will grant it or not.

It also depends on how full the docket is at the time the porsecution files its request. and when the defence says it is also ready.

Anonymous
by Anonymous 1 - Original Poster on Nov. 11, 2016 at 10:09 PM

That is interesting. I guess in some ways it can be a good thing, but it also seems it delays justice.  

Anonymous
by Anonymous 2 on Nov. 11, 2016 at 10:11 PM
1 mom liked this
It does delay but murder trials take a lot of preparation - the attorneys need to know the case inside and out - and usually the assigned prosecutor has many other cases to work on as well.

Quoting Anonymous 1:

That is interesting. I guess in some ways it can be a good thing, but it also seems it delays justice.  

Anonymous
by Anonymous 3 on Nov. 11, 2016 at 10:15 PM
In this case because there was NO physical evidence and it took the private detective to take the interviews with the suspect and make it was they want to hear. It's not really justice if the person is innocent
Anonymous
by Anonymous 1 - Original Poster on Nov. 11, 2016 at 10:18 PM

That is true. I missed parts of it because of my kids being silly and goofy in the other room. 

Quoting Anonymous 3: In this case because there was NO physical evidence and it took the private detective to take the interviews with the suspect and make it was they want to hear. It's not really justice if the person is innocent

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)