Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Teacher's Aide is a Slacker!

Anonymous
Posted by Anonymous
  • 60 Replies
I work as a special ed teacher with young autistic students. A new young male aide was sent to my class, and he is a slacker. He seems to view work as a social event. He is always watching the door to see if any of his BFF aide friends are out there. He is a one on one aide and is supposed to be by his student and focused on him, not in the hallway bullshitting. I say something and he goes back to his student with a shitty attitude. I've reminded him he needs to use the token board, but every time I'm busy with something else, he's slacking again. He needs an aide himself. Ugh! I also have to remind him he needs to be working with and engaging his student. He'd let him sit doing the same puzzle all day.

During Art class, the other aides told me, he walked out for about 10 minutes leaving the student without a one on one aide. The Art teacher is a passive person and didn't call him on it. This is a lawsuit waiting to happen.

I've been documenting everything. The administrators generally want teachers to handle things, but I can't fix this guy. This school does not seem to fire anyone unless they physically abuse a student.

Would you talk to him again? Go to administration? I love my students and other aides, and I don't want this prick to wreck my class!
Posted by Anonymous on Nov. 11, 2016 at 10:51 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
Cajunqueenslsg8
by Platinum Member on Nov. 11, 2016 at 10:52 PM
Definitely go to administration!
Anonymous
by Anonymous 1 - Original Poster on Nov. 11, 2016 at 10:55 PM
Quoting Cajunqueenslsg8: Definitely go to administration!

I wish I had the power to fire his sorry ass! Ugh!
Anonymous
by Anonymous 1 - Original Poster on Nov. 11, 2016 at 10:57 PM

BUMP!

Cajunqueenslsg8
by Platinum Member on Nov. 11, 2016 at 11:00 PM
I would be worried too and want his ass fired. If something happens to one of those kids on his watch, there will be hell to pay.

Quoting Anonymous 1:

Anonymous
by Anonymous 1 - Original Poster on Nov. 11, 2016 at 11:02 PM
Quoting Cajunqueenslsg8: I would be worried too and want his ass fired. If something happens to one of those kids on his watch, there will be hell to pay.

Quoting Anonymous 1:

Exactly! And I have to cover my ass!
Anonymous
by Anonymous 2 on Nov. 11, 2016 at 11:03 PM
3 moms liked this
If he's not with his student during his assigned times, he's violating the student's IEP. That's a legal document, so he's really putting the school in a terrible position. The school should want to fire him, because he's a legal liability.
Anonymous
by Anonymous 1 - Original Poster on Nov. 11, 2016 at 11:06 PM
Quoting Anonymous 2: If he's not with his student during his assigned times, he's violating the student's IEP. That's a legal document, so he's really putting the school in a terrible position. The school should want to fire him, because he's a legal liability.

I hate that the school doesn't seem to fire anyone. I know aides here only make $10/hr. But nobody is better than this guy!
Anonymous
by Anonymous 3 on Nov. 11, 2016 at 11:08 PM
I'd let the parents know. This is BS.
Anonymous
by Anonymous 2 on Nov. 11, 2016 at 11:10 PM
The administration needs to step up. My dd has a one on one. I would be at the school, demanding answers If I found out that her aide wasn't doing her job.

Quoting Anonymous 1:
Quoting Anonymous 2: If he's not with his student during his assigned times, he's violating the student's IEP. That's a legal document, so he's really putting the school in a terrible position. The school should want to fire him, because he's a legal liability.

I hate that the school doesn't seem to fire anyone. I know aides here only make $10/hr. But nobody is better than this guy!
sheramom4
by Emerald Member on Nov. 11, 2016 at 11:13 PM
1 mom liked this

Quoting Anonymous 1:

Is this guy even trained? $10/hour is about what those in entry level retail make. The school cannot really expect high quality aides for that. 

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)