Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Are all homeschoolers like little cults?

Anonymous
Posted by Anonymous
  • 57 Replies
I have seen it over and over again, not only on here but irl. Mom is a SAHM, dad works from home so he's there most of the time and the kids don't have the interests that most kids their age have.

The kids have no real friends since they don't have continuous social interaction (few hours a week with the music class is not real social interaction).
Posted by Anonymous on Nov. 28, 2016 at 7:53 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
corticosteroid
by Sapphire Member on Nov. 28, 2016 at 7:56 AM
6 moms liked this

Well this isn't nearly biased enough.

bleumonster
by Sapphire Member on Nov. 28, 2016 at 7:57 AM
No. I know homeschoolers that just do online school and are normal. Of course a lot of these are high school students that would have dropped out without the online option lol.
fallenangel_353
by Ruby Member on Nov. 28, 2016 at 7:57 AM
8 moms liked this
Yes, we are. I put them in public school last year to recruit other cultees. A lot of prospects for next year! I'm already working on my Kool Aid recipe :p
Shaken1976
by Emerald Member on Nov. 28, 2016 at 7:59 AM

The homeschoolers I know all do many things outside the home, participate in co-ops, have lots of friends, one or both parents work, and have normal families. 

ColtsFan1912
by FriendoftheFoot on Nov. 28, 2016 at 7:59 AM
5 moms liked this
Oh yes. We chant before lessons and have matching jackets with our secret homeschooling code on it.
Anonymous
by Anonymous 2 on Nov. 28, 2016 at 8:01 AM
Well I'm sure ALL (or even MOST) of them aren't. I can only say this is kind of true for one homeschooling family I know. Mom stays home and dad works, the mom does a great job, the kids are extremely smart and well mannered. But their social circle literally consists only of people they meet through church. So that's kind of cultish to me but I know the mom is super religious and wants her kids to have those same values.
Mom2theboy1994
by Gold Member on Nov. 28, 2016 at 8:02 AM
1 mom liked this
I was a sahm.
My husband did not work from home.
My son had a ton of friends.
Most of my son's interests went over the heads of his friends, but, that was because he was a giant (self proclaimed) nerd and not because we home-schooled, lol.
He graduated in 2013 from the private school we used as an umbrella school.

I've never met a home-schooling family who had an issue with their children making/having friends. Just like their are kids in a brick and mortar school that stay to themselves and are shy, you run into home-schooled children who stay to themselves and are shy. But for the most part. But it's a myth that social awkwardness is the norm.
Mom2theboy1994
by Gold Member on Nov. 28, 2016 at 8:04 AM
Why'd you go and tell about your jackets? Dang it, woman! :)

Quoting ColtsFan1912: Oh yes. We chant before lessons and have matching jackets with our secret homeschooling code on it.
fallenangel_353
by Ruby Member on Nov. 28, 2016 at 8:04 AM
1 mom liked this
We even had homeschool i.d's for outings so that we got our homeschool discounts at participating businesses! Sneaky we are!

Quoting ColtsFan1912: Oh yes. We chant before lessons and have matching jackets with our secret homeschooling code on it.
justdhea
by Member on Nov. 28, 2016 at 8:06 AM

LOL , I know right !

Quoting fallenangel_353: Yes, we are. I put them in public school last year to recruit other cultees. A lot of prospects for next year! I'm already working on my Kool Aid recipe :p

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)