Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Who is in the wrong in this situation?

Posted by on Nov. 28, 2016 at 9:15 AM
  • 256 Replies
1 mom liked this

A woman goes to the hospital because she wakes up and her leg is swollen. Turns out it is a pretty severe DVT (blood clot). She noticed her leg had been hurting but thought she had pulled a muscle and didnt think twice until it was swollen. 

She calls her mother to tell her. Her mother freaks out and says she is going to buy a plane ticket to come and be with her ASAP. The daughter says no, that she doesnt feel up to have guests and that her husband and kids were there taking care of her. She is stressed out, tired, and just doesnt want to have anyone around. 

The mother ignores the daughter and buys a plane ticket. She calls the daughter to tell her that she cant not come, that she is too worried, and that she will be there in a few hours.

The daughter tells her that if she comes she wont be allowed in to see her. That she was very clear on not wanting her mom to come. She said it is extremely disrespectful for her mom to go against her wishes and do it anyway. 

The mother ends up cancelling the plane ticket but is now out $700. The daughter was released a few days later and is doing okay but now the mother is blaming her for ruining christmas. I guess she was supposed to use that money to drive out and visit everyone and now she cant. 

The daughter told he that it is 100% on her and she made the decision to do something disrespectful. 

Who do you think it in the wrong?

I think the mother is. I know how horrible it is to have a child far away and in the hospital but you should still respect their wishes. 

ETA: To be clear the mother went behind the daughters back. She had the daughter believing she wasnt coming and then went and bought a plane ticket. 

by on Nov. 28, 2016 at 9:15 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
Anonymous
by Anonymous 1 on Nov. 28, 2016 at 9:17 AM
2 moms liked this
Both really
Teeshann
by Ruby Member on Nov. 28, 2016 at 9:17 AM
8 moms liked this
She told her not to come, she didn't listen and did what she wanted . it is her own fault for being out that money.
Masterchefmom
by Sapphire Member on Nov. 28, 2016 at 9:18 AM

How is the daughter in the wrong?

Quoting Anonymous 1: Both really

ReedusStalker
by 11-15/3-27 on Nov. 28, 2016 at 9:19 AM
1 mom liked this

I can understand where the mother was coming from but in the end, she made the choice to spend her money. No one made her do it so it's on her

Anonymous
by Anonymous 1 on Nov. 28, 2016 at 9:20 AM
6 moms liked this
A little compassion goes a long way. She didn't have to be a bitch about it. Being a mother herself, she should understand her own mother freaking out at a very serious health issue and wanting to be with her.

The ruining Christmas and whatever is a load of bull though.

Quoting Masterchefmom:

Anonymous
by Anonymous 2 on Nov. 28, 2016 at 9:22 AM
6 moms liked this
The mother should have listened, but she just wanted to be there for her daughter in a time of need. I think the daughter was very rude.
Masterchefmom
by Sapphire Member on Nov. 28, 2016 at 9:22 AM
2 moms liked this

So the person in the hospital should have compassion for her mother and not the other way around?

I am sure she understood how her mom was feeling but she was putting herself first

You are free to your opinion though of course 

Quoting Anonymous 1: A little compassion goes a long way. She didn't have to be a bitch about it. Being a mother herself, she should understand her own mother freaking out at a very serious health issue and wanting to be with her. The ruining Christmas and whatever is a load of bull though.
Quoting Masterchefmom:

Anonymous
by Anonymous 3 on Nov. 28, 2016 at 9:22 AM
6 moms liked this

If DD had let her visit, she'd still be out the $700. So what difference does it make on Christmas that she didn't get to go?

This is on the mom entirely. 

Anonymous
by Anonymous 1 on Nov. 28, 2016 at 9:25 AM
5 moms liked this
When she went as far as to say if her mom shows up, she wasn't allowed to visit, that was a bitch move. How would it have hurt to let her mother in the room? No reason to be that way.

Quoting Masterchefmom:

So the person in the hospital should have compassion for her mother and not the other way around?

I am sure she understood how her mom was feeling but she was putting herself first

You are free to your opinion though of course 

Quoting Anonymous 1: A little compassion goes a long way. She didn't have to be a bitch about it. Being a mother herself, she should understand her own mother freaking out at a very serious health issue and wanting to be with her.

The ruining Christmas and whatever is a load of bull though.

Quoting Masterchefmom:

Anonymous
by Anonymous 4 on Nov. 28, 2016 at 9:25 AM
3 moms liked this
Daughter should not have called mom to begin with. Call her when released.
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)