Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

When have your kids ever acted ungrateful over a gift?

Posted by on Nov. 28, 2016 at 10:21 AM
  • 114 Replies
1 mom liked this

Sometimes kids can be, well, less than grateful or gracious when receiving a gift. For example, they might receive a board game and shout, "We already have that one!" or get a toy and say, "That's for babies!"

Whatever the gift, whatever their less-than-appreciative reaction, we'd love to hear your stories!

Please share for possible inclusion in an upcoming CafeMom feature! :)

by on Nov. 28, 2016 at 10:21 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
bmcandmmh
by Crazy Cat Lady on Nov. 28, 2016 at 10:35 AM
I always tell my son right before he opens presents from others to not say I have that already or I don't like that etc. I tell him we can always try returning the gift for something he likes better or doesn't already have and he is 9 now and gotten really good about that. With us though we make sure he really wants a certain gift before we give it to him so he really doesn't act ungrateful.
Anonymous
by Anonymous 1 on Nov. 28, 2016 at 10:39 AM
3 moms liked this
One of my girls got a transformer that my boyfriend bought her. (She requested it). She got all pissed off because it wasn't Optimus Prime and it was "too hard" to transform. I told her to go put it back in the box so I could give it to the neighbor kid because he would appreciate it. She changed her mind quick. She's 6.
SDmomma-3
by Ruby Member on Nov. 28, 2016 at 10:42 AM
I don't know that I would call it ungrateful, maybe some would...I know mil and bil's wife certainly did.

Mil ignored my kids, missed everything important in their lives but would send cards with money and gifts for Christmas. It wasn't that my kids didn't appreciate it but they asked her to stop sending them money and gifts because they'd rather have the time/memories with her than money and toys.
SergeantSausage
by Ruby Member on Nov. 28, 2016 at 10:44 AM
4 moms liked this
My kids knew that I would make their life hell if they ever disrespected a gift giver. I don't play that bs.
Neko_Nightstar
by Gold Member on Nov. 28, 2016 at 10:46 AM

When I was a teenager, my mother bought my nephew (he was 6 or 7 at the time I think) a big Tonka truck type thing and then got him a little tin Spider Man box with a couple pairs of Spider Man boxers so that he would have two things to open like the other kids. When he opened it, he said "Who would by underwear for a kid?" We thought it was funny.

Anonymous
by Anonymous 2 on Nov. 28, 2016 at 10:47 AM

No, they actually never have.  They always appreciate gifts big and small.  My son thinks it's fun to have two of the same thing.  My daughter was even thrilled to receive a Glade candle from DH's aunt for her 12th birthday.  They are the kind of kids who can see fun and potential in anything.  

HomesteadHunny
by New Member on Nov. 28, 2016 at 10:59 AM
2 moms liked this

My 8 (almost 9)yo DS just spend the weekend with family for Thanksgiving. They took all the kids to a space simulator thing and DS told everyone his favorite part was walking out the door to go home. I was so upset! His Uncles took a dozen kids ranging from 4-13 on an adventure and my DS (the only non-homeschooled one not that that really matters) on a fun day and DS had to act like an ass. It is really out of charactor for him, I believe it is because he is an only child so not only was he overstimulated but is used to being the center of attention. It is by far no excuse of course and I was very disappointed in him.

kcmama1010
by Bronze Member on Nov. 28, 2016 at 11:03 AM

for my son's first birtday my mom got him a dog toy (no not a toy dog -a toy meant for dogs) he opened it up took one look at it and threw it over  his shoulder.

Dardenella
by Ruby Member on Nov. 28, 2016 at 11:18 AM

My in laws never lived near us. They sent gifts though.  When my daughter was perhaps 3 1/2  it was christmas and as she openned the gift of clothes, she pulled them out and  looked hard and handed them to her brother (5 years older)  As usual they were at least 2 sizes too big and my child was tall for her age LOL.

It is  hard to be grateful for things you can't wear.  But my kids always told grandma and grandpa  thank you thatnk you. (coached of course)

The rub came when GM wanted pictures.  Little one said.  OH OK-ay.  LOL and we took the pictures of her swimming in the outfits.  DS's  was large but less so.  Thing is that she asked for the sizes every year.

Spare.Time
by Emerald Member on Nov. 28, 2016 at 11:42 AM
1 mom liked this

From toddler age I taught my kids to always say thank you, no matter what the gift was.  We would practice that often during the holidays and their birthday.  I would give them random things in the house and we would rehearse their response.  It worked very well.  

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)