Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Ways to build my credit...help!

Posted by on Nov. 28, 2016 at 10:40 AM
  • 13 Replies

I don't have bad credit nor do I have good credit, from what I recall I just don't have any credit at all.  Bills don't go towards credit and I have a debit card.  I'm 25 by the way.  I'd like to boost my credit so I can take out a loan by April-May.  Any suggestions or suggestions on good credit cards?

by on Nov. 28, 2016 at 10:40 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
Anonymous
by Anonymous 1 on Nov. 28, 2016 at 10:46 AM
Car loan or credit card, and pay it on time every month. Starting from a zero score, in one year, your score will be 750 (I think). After that, be careful about taking on further credit. Each time you get a new card or loan, your credit score will take a small and temporary hit.
blessed107
by Diamond Member on Nov. 28, 2016 at 10:47 AM
Car loan if you're in the market.
Anonymous
by Anonymous 2 on Nov. 28, 2016 at 10:47 AM
Secured cards are a good place to start. I also got a furniture store card through Wells Fargo and furnished my house with 0% for 12 months.
Anonymous
by Anonymous 3 on Nov. 28, 2016 at 10:49 AM
1 mom liked this
Capital One Quicksilver and Openskycc secured credit cards both report every month and both helped raise my score significantly within six months.

Capital one doesn't require you putting any money up front but the OpenSky cards typically do.
mama_ejd
by on Nov. 28, 2016 at 10:52 AM

Thank you!

Quoting Anonymous 3: Capital One Quicksilver and Openskycc secured credit cards both report every month and both helped raise my score significantly within six months. Capital one doesn't require you putting any money up front but the OpenSky cards typically do.

Anonymous
by Anonymous 4 on Nov. 28, 2016 at 10:52 AM
My husband has opensky. Just make sure you pay as you go so it won't ruin your credit.
Anonymous
by Anonymous 5 on Nov. 28, 2016 at 10:56 AM

I would just go to your bank and ask which cards had no fees and low interest rates.  If you don't qualify for any of those, then I would ask them about a secured credit card.  

Anonymous
by Anonymous 6 on Nov. 28, 2016 at 10:59 AM
I would ask your bank if you can apply for a credit card through them. Chances are, if you use that bank, you will get a good interest rate. Also, do not completely pay off the balance that you spend on the card. By paying it off right away, you won't be able to build credit.
Anonymous
by Anonymous 7 on Nov. 28, 2016 at 11:01 AM
I got a Discover card that started at $200 limit. I used it to pay bills and send the money to them. After 2 months they increased my limit to $400. Now 4 months in I have a credit limit of $1500 and my credit score is 720.

I also used store card and ordered small items and paid them off fast just to help build my credit.
bluebunnybabe
by kid crack dealer on Nov. 28, 2016 at 11:18 AM
Store cards are usually a little easier to qualify for. Get a store card & use it only for things you were going to buy anyway & have the cash for & when the bill comes, pay it in full. After you've done that for a few months, apply for a Visa or MasterCard & again, use it for only things you have the cash for & were going to buy anyway such as gas or groceries & pay in full when the bill comes in. Build up to 3 or more lines of credit & always pay in full. Revolving lines (credit cards) report differently than installment loans (cars) so you want to stick with cards while trying to boost your score.
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)