Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

I like Doc McStuffins, but ...

Anonymous
Posted by Anonymous
  • 20 Replies

There are a couple episodes that rub me the wrong way. The first one was where Awesome Guy kept refusing to get a check-up and everyone conspired to give him a check-up anyway. 

The I see an episode this morning where the Wicked King wound up with a crown-cussion and needed to stay in the hospital overnight. So many times he said he wasn't happy and wanted to go home. It even got to the point that he tried to sneak out of the hospital.

I get that it's supposed to be just a fun kids show, but it shares messages that translate to what the kids should do to stay healthy. I just don't like those episodes. It rubs me the wrong way because I'm big about bodily autonomy when it comes to healthcare and those episodes send the message that the doctors can do whatever they want under the banner of "for your own good."

Posted by Anonymous on Nov. 28, 2016 at 11:40 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
oryxx31
by Captain Cook on Nov. 28, 2016 at 11:45 AM
1 mom liked this
But, sometimes for kids that IS the message. They don't have bodily autonomy. We make medical decisions on their behalf all the time....most kids wouldn't choose to have check ups and vaccinations and dentist appointments. I think the message of "this is what it feels like" when you are a kid and don't make decisions like this. It creates a format where kids relate to how the characters feel and see ways to deal with it modeled.
Pink.Sunshine
by Petty Princess on Nov. 28, 2016 at 11:46 AM
My kids like her for some reason
Anonymous
by Anonymous 2 on Nov. 28, 2016 at 11:47 AM

Well it is a tv show and frankly one that kids forget most of as soon as they are on the next activity.  That said, illness and injury happens, concussions are gotten by children sometimes, my cousin had one as a child and she was definitely in the right place staying in the hospital.  I think it sends more of a message that even though the hospital is not a fun place, it's where you need to be if you have a serious enough condition.  I work for a hospital and people say they aren't happy, sign out AMA, then come back a few hours or a day later in worse shape than they left. 

Lunarprancer
by Betsy on Nov. 28, 2016 at 11:49 AM

Image result for doc mcstuffins meme

Anonymous
by Anonymous 1 - Original Poster on Nov. 28, 2016 at 11:51 AM

And that is where I get hung up. Part of the problem we have with doctors having that God complex is the fact that we're conditioned from a young age not to argue with them. "Doctor knows best" and all that.

Quoting oryxx31: But, sometimes for kids that IS the message. They don't have bodily autonomy. We make medical decisions on their behalf all the time....most kids wouldn't choose to have check ups and vaccinations and dentist appointments. I think the message of "this is what it feels like" when you are a kid and don't make decisions like this. It creates a format where kids relate to how the characters feel and see ways to deal with it modeled.

Anonymous
by Anonymous 3 on Nov. 28, 2016 at 11:53 AM

Eh, it doesn't bother me but I am one that doesn't have an issue with following dtr's orders. 

Anonymous
by Anonymous 4 on Nov. 28, 2016 at 11:54 AM
My daughter is obsessed with mcstuffins. I hate that show.
oryxx31
by Captain Cook on Nov. 28, 2016 at 11:55 AM
That isn't a "doctors always know best" attitude. That's parenting. Hopefully they understand that when they are adults, the decisions other people get to make for you change. That also falls under the umbrella of things parents have to teach themselves. Preschoolers really don't put that much thought into tv, I hope,lol.

Quoting Anonymous 1:

And that is where I get hung up. Part of the problem we have with doctors having that God complex is the fact that we're conditioned from a young age not to argue with them. "Doctor knows best" and all that.

Quoting oryxx31: But, sometimes for kids that IS the message. They don't have bodily autonomy. We make medical decisions on their behalf all the time....most kids wouldn't choose to have check ups and vaccinations and dentist appointments. I think the message of "this is what it feels like" when you are a kid and don't make decisions like this. It creates a format where kids relate to how the characters feel and see ways to deal with it modeled.

Anonymous
by Anonymous 5 on Nov. 28, 2016 at 11:55 AM
I hate that episode where queen Amina is.bossing every one around and they sang about her being a leader and it wasn't nice to call her out on being bossy.
I'm like no, you don't get to be rude because you're a leader.
cutebaby06
by Ruby Member on Nov. 28, 2016 at 11:57 AM

It's a stupid TV show, I watch them, then forget about it as soon as it's over with, why think so much about it?

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)