Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Moms who had to leave their babies in the NICU

Anonymous
Posted by Anonymous
  • 29 Replies
How often did you visit your baby? I'm 30 weeks pregnant but I've been having a lot of complications. My blood pressure has been wonky and today, at my appointment at 2, doctor says if my blood pressure is high, baby is coming out. I know if she's born, she's going to have to stay in the NICU for at least some time. Our hospital has private rooms in the NICU for breastfeeding and pumping but that's it. So I'm going to have to leave her :( did you have vaginal or c-section and did that make a difference in the time you visited your baby?
Posted by Anonymous on Nov. 28, 2016 at 1:29 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
PoisonEyeV
by Sapphire Member on Nov. 28, 2016 at 1:30 PM

Whenever my parents felt like driving me to the hospital.

MysticLove
by Ruby Member on Nov. 28, 2016 at 1:33 PM

My boys only had to stay in the NICU for 5 days. I had a c-section because one of the boys wasn't turned right and wouldn't have room to get into position after the first was born. The first day I was wheeled down but couldn't go in to see them. By day 2 I was there a couple times a day until day 4 when they told me that I was ok to go home. Only one night home without them.

PeppermintyTea
by on Nov. 28, 2016 at 1:33 PM
My first pregnancy was delivered by c/s at 28weeks. I was still in ICU on a vent for a while after so it was over a week before I could visit though I don't remember exactly how many days. Once I was well enough I was there everyday. After I was discharged I was there a couple times a day usually in the morning for a couple hours and later in the day again. That was 14 years ago so my memory isn't great on specifics.
Danesmommy1
by Grammar Enthusiast on Nov. 28, 2016 at 1:33 PM
Our hospital let me keep my room while DS was in the NICU. I stayed there most of the week DS was there. The nurses did tell me to go home and not come back for at least 8 hours and to get some sleep. I went home, slept and went back.
Lulu-mama
by on Nov. 28, 2016 at 1:33 PM
TBH, I rarely left the hospital. He was there for an extra 5 days after I was discharged if that matters. I also had no other children to attend to. People have to do what is best for their family.
Anonymous
by Anonymous 2 on Nov. 28, 2016 at 1:33 PM

It depends on the hospital. My DD was born at 33 weeks due to preeclampsia. I understand your fears.

Ours recommended only feeding her and holding her once a day to keep the stress levels down. So we'd spend an hour visiting, usually after DH got home from work.

It was really, really hard to leave her each time, but we knew she was in the best place for the time being.

Anonymous
by Anonymous 3 on Nov. 28, 2016 at 1:33 PM
That sounds awful. Why couldn't you drive?

Quoting PoisonEyeV:

mamaracheli
by Platinum Member on Nov. 28, 2016 at 1:33 PM
I'm on an every other day schedule. My girls were born on Nov. 18, a Friday. I came home Tuesday and I've been going every other day. I had a c-section and it's still very hard for me to get around. From my experience, the nurses will really try to get you to go home to get some rest. I call my girls' nurse to ask what's happening and she always answers. If she isn't there, whoever is caring for my girls answers and gives me their stats and everything.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Anonymous
by Anonymous 4 on Nov. 28, 2016 at 1:34 PM
I didn't live far from the hospital so I was up there 2-3 times a day to visit her during feedings, try to breast feed, and read to her while she slept. I did have a c section but it didn't really slow me down. Dh thought it was a bit excessive but I didn't care. I still swept the snow off the car and made him take me or I was driving myself.
PoisonEyeV
by Sapphire Member on Nov. 28, 2016 at 1:35 PM

I was 17...didn't learn to drive yet.

Quoting Anonymous 3: That sounds awful. Why couldn't you drive?
Quoting PoisonEyeV:

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)