Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Atheist church?? Around Christmas?

Anonymous
Posted by Anonymous
  • 99 Replies

How would you react....

My husband and I run our local church. Beside our church is a playground / public park. On the other side of the park is a building that was used for years as a community building where things like Farmer's Markets were held, bike-a-thons for the kids, Christmas concerts for some of the local schools that didn't have a gymnasium.

It was up for sale for about a year and someone bought it. 

A couple weeks ago as we were opening the church for service, we noticed a bunch of cars in the parking lot of the old building, people bringing in tools, etc. so we decided to stop over and introduce ourselves and invite them to Sunday service.

Turns out, they are a bunch of Atheists in a Christian community and are running a program, specifically for CHILDREN. They could tell I was offended when they said they were an Atheist organization and would make a "safe place" for kids to learn about MYTHOLOGY, science and FREE THINKING.

As if being Christian meant you aren't a free thinker or believed in science. 

And then I find out they are running this Friday night Teen night program, "to keep teens off the streets" supposedly, even though we have a great teen program on Friday nights for our youth.

Some of us want to organize a protest. What would you do in my situation? If they were just catering to Atheist families, fine. But they are trying to compete, so to speak, with our teen program and you know teens will want to do the "cool" thing and pretend to be Atheists. It bothers me that kids are going to be hurt over this.

Posted by Anonymous on Nov. 28, 2016 at 3:35 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
Libby22
by Ruby Member on Nov. 28, 2016 at 3:37 PM
4 moms liked this

Uh huh. I'm an atheist and I can see you trying to make Christians look bad. Lame.

peanutsmommy1
by Ruby Member on Nov. 28, 2016 at 3:37 PM
1 mom liked this
People like you are why I hate organized religion.

It is not a competition
Anonymous
by Anonymous 2 on Nov. 28, 2016 at 3:38 PM
1 mom liked this

I don't see an issue.  

When I was in high school, I did the "cool" thing and pretended to be Christian. I survived, and I am not Christian as an adult. So, in my experience whatever you pretend to be in high school doesn't really stick. I think it'll all work itself out.

Anonymous
by Anonymous 3 on Nov. 28, 2016 at 3:41 PM
Lol
white_wolf454
by Ruby Member on Nov. 28, 2016 at 3:45 PM

well given that a few of my cousins use to tell me that dinosaurs did not exist because if it aint in the bible it not real . Oh and not all folks are christian some might not feel comfortable in your enviorment not that your not nice folks and mean well 

DisabledVet
by Ruby Member on Nov. 28, 2016 at 3:50 PM

I'd mind my own business. Don't like the place then don't go there.  It's their building and they can do what ever they want with it. 

SweetLoveSong
by on Nov. 28, 2016 at 3:52 PM
Dinosaurs are in the Bible.

Quoting white_wolf454:

well given that a few of my cousins use to tell me that dinosaurs did not exist because if it aint in the bible it not real . Oh and not all folks are christian some might not feel comfortable in your enviorment not that your not nice folks and mean well 

SweetLoveSong
by on Nov. 28, 2016 at 3:53 PM
I'd mind my own business.
smorgan865
by Ruby Member on Nov. 28, 2016 at 3:55 PM
4 moms liked this
Yes! THIS. Just stop it.

It's like a Mexican restaurant with a happy hour protesting a new steakhouse that is now offering a happy hour. Just stupid.

Quoting peanutsmommy1: People like you are why I hate organized religion.

It is not a competition
Anonymous
by Anonymous 4 on Nov. 28, 2016 at 3:56 PM
1 mom liked this
Troll
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)