Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Why is my dog all of a sudden scared?

Anonymous
Posted by Anonymous
  • 10 Replies
He has been in good health, is 3 y/o, and I am with him almost 24/7 so I know he hasn't endured any trauma. Yet, when we went to the park, where we always go, he was trembling and shaking, he refused to walk. I picked him up and held him close and just walked my other dog. So half way around the trail I put him down and he was his normal confident happy self! What could have caused this? I have also noticed other times he gets very nervous and scared.
Posted by Anonymous on Nov. 28, 2016 at 5:00 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
snowflakes16
by on Nov. 28, 2016 at 5:01 PM
1 mom liked this
Ghosts
Anonymous
by Anonymous 1 - Original Poster on Nov. 28, 2016 at 5:02 PM
I don't think so but thanks for the bump. :)

Quoting snowflakes16: Ghosts
lancet98
by Ruby Member on Nov. 28, 2016 at 5:03 PM

Why don't you take him to a vet and have him get a check up?  He might be ill or injured.

Anonymous
by Anonymous 2 on Nov. 28, 2016 at 5:05 PM
Maybe he smelled something, or saw a snake or something. Could he just have been cold?
Anonymous
by Anonymous 1 - Original Poster on Nov. 28, 2016 at 5:05 PM
I guess I can do that, he doesn't do it all the time or even a lot though. It's just sometimes. It's very strange. I'm really not sure what kind of injury it could be.

Quoting lancet98:

Why don't you take him to a vet and have him get a check up?  He might be ill or injured.

KenneMaw
by Ruby Member on Nov. 28, 2016 at 5:05 PM

he could be sensing something the walk, like a different animal, sounds or smells.   Are you anxious when he is?   If he is a small dog, I would make sure his back is OK.  If he small and is allowed to go up/down steps and jump on/off furniture, he could have hurt a disc in his back that is causing some pain.   This  is really common in dogs that have shorter legs and longer bodies.

Anonymous
by Anonymous 3 on Nov. 28, 2016 at 5:06 PM

Maybe he hears or smells something that you can't detect that gave him a fright at some time in the past. 

Anonymous
by Anonymous 1 - Original Poster on Nov. 28, 2016 at 5:07 PM
No, we are in Florida and he even had his sweats on in 61degree weather. He's a hot natured dog. I'm inclined to think he smelled or heard something that I couldn't. He hates the sound of the broom on our tile floor and the sound of rain. He's not afraid of the rain but won't go out in it (I think it hurts his ears). Maybe I will take him in for a look ive but I think it was situational.

Quoting Anonymous 2: Maybe he smelled something, or saw a snake or something. Could he just have been cold?
Anonymous
by Anonymous 1 - Original Poster on Nov. 28, 2016 at 5:08 PM
This makes sense.

Quoting Anonymous 3:

Maybe he hears or smells something that you can't detect that gave him a fright at some time in the past. 

Anonymous
by Anonymous 1 - Original Poster on Nov. 28, 2016 at 5:10 PM
No, I'm not anxious and we have been many times before (like 5x a week). He may be sensing something I can't. He does seem to have acute hearing as in he will start barking with out looking outside and this tom car that roams will be crossing the street. He is a Maltese bichon so I will ask the vet to just give his back a once over but he has been playing normally at home.

Quoting KenneMaw:

he could be sensing something the walk, like a different animal, sounds or smells.   Are you anxious when he is?   If he is a small dog, I would make sure his back is OK.  If he small and is allowed to go up/down steps and jump on/off furniture, he could have hurt a disc in his back that is causing some pain.   This  is really common in dogs that have shorter legs and longer bodies.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)