Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Teenage readers and censorship.

Anonymous
Posted by Anonymous
  • 157 Replies

Do you censor your teens books? I ask because a woman in my local moms group was looking for "appropriate" mystery books for her 14 year old. I mean, they've probably read Lord of the Flies, Catcher in the Rye, and The Great Gatsby in school at that point and those are full of adult content. 

I was never censored from books unlike other media. My parents never believed in stifling reading, although I was sent home from my Catholic school in the 6th grade for bringing in and reading "The Pope and the Heretic" in my free time, and chastized in 7th for reading "Go Ask Alice". I have always had a high reading level and as an adult- I read over 1000 words per minute. It's crazy. I buy books based on how large they are so I can get more use from them. For example, I can read an 800 page book in a day. I spent 20 bucks on Harry Potter and the Cursed Child and it was 40 minutes of entertainment for me. I read the first 5 Harry Potter books in one day when I was 13. I digress.

My daughter is 5 and it doesn't seem like she'll be much of a reader and it's a little sad. I'm trying to encourage it more. When she grows older, I won't censor books. (except maybe 50 shades, but she can have all the harlequin romance she'd like)

What are your reasons for censoring if you do censor?

Posted by Anonymous on Nov. 28, 2016 at 5:22 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
Anonymous
by Anonymous 1 - Original Poster on Nov. 28, 2016 at 5:22 PM

BUMP!

MissAndree
by Nosuchthing on Nov. 28, 2016 at 5:26 PM
3 moms liked this

I have never censored books, but my dd is not an avid reader like I was. I have always allowed her to pick what she likes. 

Susan_Marie1984
by Silver Member on Nov. 28, 2016 at 5:27 PM
3 moms liked this
I have... reason being, books create images in our mind, some of which are not appropriate for some age groups.
I typically would read up on parent reviews, and skim through the book myself.
Danesmommy1
by Grammar Enthusiast on Nov. 28, 2016 at 5:27 PM
1 mom liked this
Almost exactly this. I have a DS, not a DD.

Quoting MissAndree:

I have never censored books, but my dd is not an avid reader like I was. I have always allowed her to pick what she likes. 

Easedropping
by Platinum Member on Nov. 28, 2016 at 5:27 PM
2 moms liked this

No. We don't censor what our kids read. We talk about it if they have questions. 

Masterchefmom
by Sapphire Member on Nov. 28, 2016 at 5:28 PM
I never censored books or really anything
cybcm
by Ruby Member on Nov. 28, 2016 at 5:29 PM
2 moms liked this
Absolutely not.

You can only interpret words to mean things within a context you already comprehend, and reading is the safest way to explore new topics.
Anonymous
by Anonymous 1 - Original Poster on Nov. 28, 2016 at 5:29 PM

What about the books they read in schools which may be worse?

Quoting Susan_Marie1984: I have... reason being, books create images in our mind, some of which are not appropriate for some age groups. I typically would read up on parent reviews, and skim through the book myself.

Anonymous
by Anonymous 2 on Nov. 28, 2016 at 5:29 PM
1 mom liked this

My oldest is 9, and she is a bookworm.  I've no intention of censoring books.  Books were the one thing that my mom didn't censor. 

romalove
by SakePrincess on Nov. 28, 2016 at 5:31 PM
I don't believe in censoring media for kids.
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)