Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

How many kids equals a LARGE family? Gift giving S/O

Posted by on Nov. 28, 2016 at 6:42 PM
  • 26 Replies

So I was reading the extended family not giving gifts to large family post and it got me thinking, how many kids would someone have to have to be considered a large family?

I personally don't think 3 kids equals a large family, a 5 person family seems average to me. Now I have extended family that have NINE people in their family, a mom, a dad, and 7 kids and we sent gifts to them for Christmas one year and that was pretty expensive and I would consider that a large family. 

I have 3 kids (daughter and twin boys) and sometimes people tell us we're a large family and when the kids are older hotel rooms won't let us rent just ONE room because there's five of us but if there were just four of us one room would be fine. I guess there's a big financial difference between a family of four and a family of 5. 

by on Nov. 28, 2016 at 6:42 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
Anonymous
by Anonymous 1 on Nov. 28, 2016 at 6:44 PM
I have five kids and always get one hotel room lol we just usually get a suite.
Not_A_Native
by Ruby Member on Nov. 28, 2016 at 7:35 PM

I have 4 kids.  To me that IS a large family - anything over 2 kids really.  I was one of two.  Each of my parents were one of two.  My husband was one of 5, and a twin to boot.

Hotels - nice ones - generally don't allow more than 4 per room, regardless of ages.  When our kids were little, we'd get 2 adjoining rooms.  Once you get more than 4 people, you as adults are outnumbered in the family, you can't sit at a 4 person table in a restaurant, and yeah, the hotels.

Anonymous
by Anonymous 2 on Nov. 28, 2016 at 7:38 PM
More than 2 children is a large family. To me at least.
Anonymous
by Anonymous 3 on Nov. 28, 2016 at 7:39 PM
1 mom liked this

10 or more is large to me

Stevensmomma
by on Nov. 28, 2016 at 7:41 PM
Four kids or more to ME is a large family
Northern.Maple
by on Nov. 28, 2016 at 7:43 PM

5  kids here in total and when we travel we even share a hotel room with our parents, so their is often 8-10 ppl and we always just get one room. lol

Family size does not matter when we give gifts.

Anonymous
by Anonymous 4 on Nov. 28, 2016 at 7:45 PM
I grew up in a family of 5 and we always got a 1 hotel room. My parents in one bed, my sister and I in another and my brother in a cot.

I have 2 kids but dh has 7 siblings, I consider that big. His grandmother had a total of 14 but 2 passed away at birth, 1 as a 3 yr old from pneumonia and his uncle died in a motorcycle accident as a teen.
Gianna2014
by Ruby Member on Nov. 28, 2016 at 7:48 PM
I think more than 3 children is a large family.
Mommato5kids
by on Nov. 28, 2016 at 7:49 PM
7 or more is a large family to me.

When we travel for more than two days we ended up getting a condo or house for rent for cheap off Homeaway. If we are only in a place for one or two nights we stay at a hotel with suites like Homewood suites, Extended stay etc.
Anonymous
by Anonymous 5 on Nov. 28, 2016 at 7:49 PM
We have 5 kids, and I consider that a good sized family for this day and age.

My Mom was one of 8 kids, my Dad was one of 14 and I am the youngest of 10. So my 5 aren't that many compared to that I guess, but yeah. Lol

We almost always have to get 2 hotel rooms or a suite as well.
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)