Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Gnats! OMG these annoying bastards..

Anonymous
Posted by Anonymous
  • 17 Replies

I don't know where they're coming from...they've been bugging me for weeks

how can I get rid of them? I've searched everywhere, there's no food, waste, I don't know where they're coming from but I'm over them!

Posted by Anonymous on Nov. 28, 2016 at 7:08 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
Anonymous
by Anonymous 2 on Nov. 28, 2016 at 7:09 PM
1 mom liked this

A quick summary of getting rid of gnats and fruit flies.

1. Create a trap by mixing apple cider vinegar with a few drops of dish soap.
  2. Another home-made trap is to pour leftover red wine into a jar.
  3. Mash up banana slices in a jar and cover the top with a plastic wrap.
  4. Pour bleach solution into the bathroom sink. Warning: do not mix bleach with ammonia.
  5. Use an insect fogging product if you are dealing with a large-scale infestation.
  6. Place rotten fruits into a jar to attract the gnats and fruit flies.
IncognitoOne
by Ruby Member on Nov. 28, 2016 at 7:10 PM

I get them every single time I bring fresh fruits and veggies into my house. We live in a wooded area with a creek and pond on the property, so we get all kinds of bugs, lol.

Anonymous
by Anonymous 1 - Original Poster on Nov. 28, 2016 at 7:11 PM

Thank you!

Quoting Anonymous 2:

A quick summary of getting rid of gnats and fruit flies.

1. Create a trap by mixing apple cider vinegar with a few drops of dish soap.
  2. Another home-made trap is to pour leftover red wine into a jar.
  3. Mash up banana slices in a jar and cover the top with a plastic wrap.
  4. Pour bleach solution into the bathroom sink. Warning: do not mix bleach with ammonia.
  5. Use an insect fogging product if you are dealing with a large-scale infestation.
  6. Place rotten fruits into a jar to attract the gnats and fruit flies.

Anonymous
by Anonymous 1 - Original Poster on Nov. 28, 2016 at 7:12 PM

and they have all this space..and want to fly in my face :/

Quoting IncognitoOne:

I get them every single time I bring fresh fruits and veggies into my house. We live in a wooded area with a creek and pond on the property, so we get all kinds of bugs, lol.

Mom2Phoenix2011
by Silver Member on Nov. 28, 2016 at 7:15 PM
I use a mason jar with a little bit of apple cider vinegar, a piece of banana and a plastic baggie with some holes poked in it
Deborah50266
by Bronze Member on Nov. 28, 2016 at 7:15 PM
I've had them bad and nothing has worked, not even the vinegar remedy. Our pest control put something out that has helped and he said pour bleach on the disposal side
Danesmommy1
by Grammar Enthusiast on Nov. 28, 2016 at 7:16 PM
DS dropped a banana behind DH's desk, then conveniently forgot about it. I did that apple cider vinegar trap thingy and it worked fairly well.

PS. A banana that's been sitting between a desk and the wall for over a week is NASTY. I'm gagging just thinking about it.
Anonymous
by Anonymous 1 - Original Poster on Nov. 28, 2016 at 7:17 PM

thanks will do :)

Quoting Mom2Phoenix2011: I use a mason jar with a little bit of apple cider vinegar, a piece of banana and a plastic baggie with some holes poked in it

Anonymous
by Anonymous 1 - Original Poster on Nov. 28, 2016 at 7:17 PM
1 mom liked this

ew! I pray to God there's nothing like that in here..but I do need to investigate and soon.

Quoting Danesmommy1: DS dropped a banana behind DH's desk, then conveniently forgot about it. I did that apple cider vinegar trap thingy and it worked fairly well. PS. A banana that's been sitting between a desk and the wall for over a week is NASTY. I'm gagging just thinking about it.

poietes
by Laura on Nov. 28, 2016 at 7:18 PM
Seriously, appl cider vinager and dish soap is the best. We get them all the time in the fall and since its been so nice the season is much longer. We have one on my counter and one on the kitchen table. It work well. Replace about once or twice a week.
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)