Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

About this whole "Happy Holidays" vs "Merry Christmas" thing...

Posted by on Nov. 28, 2016 at 8:25 PM
  • 64 Replies

I know there's a few of you in here who are displeased with the widespread use of "Happy Holidays" and believe the phrase has somehow usurped the  place of "Merry Christmas".  I've even seen some anger over the issue. It's okay.  I don't claim to understand it, but my Dad is the same way and I still love him.

So, my question for you is this...what about Father-Daughter Dances?  If this is the Christian and patriarchal society so steeped in tradition that we must use the phrase "Merry Christmas" regardless of the fact that many American citizens and taxpayers today don't celebrate Christmas, then the long standing tradition of the Father-Daughter dance must be equally sacrosanct.  And since these dances tend to center around Father's Day, mustn't we also expect the teachers to read lots of stories about Daddies and help every child make a Father's Day gift (not a Grandpa gift or an Uncle gift...because it's FATHER'S DAY)

Can anybody give me some genuine insight into their feelings on this WITHOUT trying to tell me they aren't the same thing?  Because they are absolutely the same thing and I will reject any comments saying otherwise.

C'mon folks...if you feel this way, own it and help me understand!!!

Thanking you in advance

Don't text and drive.  

by on Nov. 28, 2016 at 8:25 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
PJMM
by Ruby Member on Nov. 28, 2016 at 8:29 PM
8 moms liked this
As long as they're not saying Fuck you and your Christmas wreath you cunt I'm perfectly okay with whatever greeting anyone wants to say to me.
MountainMomma3
by Sound of Madness on Nov. 28, 2016 at 8:33 PM
1 mom liked this
LOL! This is great.

Quoting PJMM: As long as they're not saying Fuck you and your Christmas wreath you cunt I'm perfectly okay with whatever greeting anyone wants to say to me.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
MrsBieg
by Platinum Member on Nov. 28, 2016 at 8:34 PM

Quoting PJMM: As long as they're not saying Fuck you and your Christmas wreath you cunt I'm perfectly okay with whatever greeting anyone wants to say to me.

As I was putting up my holiday decorations outside my classroom on Sunday, I noticed my "Happy Holidays" wreath (in Christmas colors) and I wondered how many parents were going to  eyeroll it, even though they are literally standing next to a Hindu or a Muslim or a Jew right there in the Methodist nursery school hallway.  And then today I was reminded of it again when some mouth at the pizza place was being loud about all the "PC crap" that he doesn't have to worry about anymore.

So I've been spending my evening kinda trying to get in the mindset.  I really want to understand.

Don't text and drive.  

Danesmommy1
by Grammar Enthusiast on Nov. 28, 2016 at 8:35 PM
I'm not going to get my knickers in a knot over Happy Holidays or Merry Christmas.
zacmacsmomm
by Ruby Member on Nov. 28, 2016 at 8:35 PM
1 mom liked this

LMFAO, this about sums it up.  You are my new hero!

squeekers
by squeekers on Nov. 28, 2016 at 8:41 PM
3 moms liked this

squeekers
by squeekers on Nov. 28, 2016 at 8:41 PM
3 moms liked this

PJMM
by Ruby Member on Nov. 28, 2016 at 8:42 PM
Unless i know someone's Jewish i just say merry Christmas. I've never had anyone get angry over it. If they say Happy holidays to me that's fine. I usually don't think to say Happy holidays unless it's the Muslim or Jewish people i know. What I'm saying is i try to say what i know people follow otherwise it's merry Christmas. People get too bent over things anyway. I feel folks should think Did they give me good wishes? If so then how it's said doesn't matter.

Quoting MrsBieg:

As I was putting up my holiday decorations outside my classroom on Sunday, I noticed my "Happy Holidays" wreath (in Christmas colors) and I wondered how many parents were going to  eyeroll it, even though they are literally standing next to a Hindu or a Muslim or a Jew right there in the Methodist nursery school hallway.  And then today I was reminded of it again when some mouth at the pizza place was being loud about all the "PC crap" that he doesn't have to worry about anymore.

So I've been spending my evening kinda trying to get in the mindset.  I really want to understand.

squeekers
by squeekers on Nov. 28, 2016 at 8:42 PM
1 mom liked this

haydsmom2007
by Platinum Member on Nov. 28, 2016 at 8:48 PM
I see nothing wrong with saying happy holidays vs merry Christmas. Many people don't celebrate Christmas and there are other holidays around the same time so why not say happy holidays to include them all? I will say though, it annoys me when people say "holiday tree" and things like that. It's a Christmas tree lol...
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)