Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

A lot of earwax......Urgent?

Anonymous
Posted by Anonymous
  • 28 Replies

My 4 year old goes to preschool everyday. 2 weeks ago, right before thanksgiving, the school nurse called me. I guess they were doing some painting activity in class and my daughter got some paint in her ear. So the teacher took her to nurses office to take a look. She immediately called me saying she was trying to take a look inside her ear but couldn't see anything due to all the wax in there. She requested I take her to the doctor ASAP to get it cleaned out because there was so much wax she couldn't see if there was infection going on or something. 

My daughter was actually 3 at the time and her 4th bday was last monday. I told the nurse I was going to take her in for her well child checkup on her bday and would have her pediatrician take a look at her ears then. She wanted me to take her in that day. But since it was less than a week, she let it go. 

Well I called the pediatrician to bring her in for check up this last monday on her bday. They informed me my insurance was expired. I called and got it back going. But they said it won't kick in until January 1st. So again, I just figured I would bring my daughter in then for her well child check up and to get her ears checked out. 

Well, first thing this morning, first day back from Thanksgiving break, I get a phone call from the school nurse again. She had requested a follow up to look at my daughter's ears.This time, she wasn't as understanding. She was wondering why I hadn't taken my daughter in. I explained the situation and she said, its an emergency. I need to take her in ASAP and just pay cash. 

Not wanting the nurse to call CPS on me or deal with more phone calls, I went ahead and took my daughter in after she got home from school. Her pediatrician took a look and said her ears were not impacted at all like the nurse said. There was a tiny bit of wax there. But nothing out of the normal. She cleaned out the little bit that was there. But was seriously questioning what was up with the nurse. There was nothing wrong with her ears at all. She sent me home with note to send with my daughter tomorrow to give to the nurse. So hopefully that is the end of that. 

But would a lot of earwax be considered an emergency and urgent call either way? I don't understand why the nurse was freaking out and wanting me to take her in ASAP. She wasn't pulling on her ears or indicating somehow that her ears hurt or were bothering her. (She is non-verbal). So I don't know why she was so worried about infection. I understand it could progress into something bad if it was an extreme amount and not being taken care of. But I take my daughter to doctor regularly. Excess wax has never been a problem for her at all. 

Posted by Anonymous on Nov. 28, 2016 at 8:37 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
MistyMoo
by Emerald Member on Nov. 28, 2016 at 8:40 PM
I wouldn't think it would be, but I dunno..
Anonymous
by Anonymous 2 on Nov. 28, 2016 at 8:40 PM
The nurse is on Crack! My ds has Gross ears, I take a qtip dip it in hydrogen peroxide then rub it in the canal, not deep, then wipe it out.

Jblb
by Emerald Member on Nov. 28, 2016 at 8:44 PM
i don't know. I took my son in for a suspected ear infection and the nurse practitioner when batty about all the ear wax. Took him to our family doctor and she wouldn't touch it. She told me that it was doing its job and would come out on its own. Which it did. She explained that the wax was good and that it was protecting the ear drum from infection. I think the nurse at the school may have over reacted. But, too much wax can be bad. Guess it depends who you're asking.
corticosteroid
by Sapphire Member on Nov. 28, 2016 at 8:45 PM

Well, when I was doing my clinical rotation with a school nurse, we actually had a case of a child with a lot of earwax, and it turned out that the child had a serious fungal infection going on behind all that wax.  

AvantGardener
by on Nov. 28, 2016 at 8:47 PM
1 mom liked this

Yes, it can cause an infection and broken ear drum. I have permanent hearing loss because my parents neglected my ears as a child. That being said, next time put a little olive oil in there and a cotton ball. Slides right out.

Crazy-Steph
by Emerald Member on Nov. 28, 2016 at 8:49 PM
My daughter had an impacted ear once. She said it was so painful when they cleaned it out. She has always had a lot of wax.
Anonymous
by Anonymous 1 - Original Poster on Nov. 28, 2016 at 8:51 PM

I guess thats what it came down to. The pediatrician said it was a very small, normal amount. The nurse was saying there was so much she couldn't even see her eardrum or if there was infection going on. The pediatrician could see it clearly before even cleaning the wax out. So weird. 

Quoting Jblb: i don't know. I took my son in for a suspected ear infection and the nurse practitioner when batty about all the ear wax. Took him to our family doctor and she wouldn't touch it. She told me that it was doing its job and would come out on its own. Which it did. She explained that the wax was good and that it was protecting the ear drum from infection. I think the nurse at the school may have over reacted. But, too much wax can be bad. Guess it depends who you're asking.

Anonymous
by Anonymous 1 - Original Poster on Nov. 28, 2016 at 8:53 PM

I guess that makes sense why the school nurse would be so concerned. Except, it wasn't even close to being as bad as she said. She said her ears were severely impacted and she couldn't see her eardrums. Her pediatrician there was very little wax in there. That she could see in there just fine before removing the wax. So she was confused as to what the nurse was even talking about. 

Quoting corticosteroid:

Well, when I was doing my clinical rotation with a school nurse, we actually had a case of a child with a lot of earwax, and it turned out that the child had a serious fungal infection going on behind all that wax.  

Traci_Momof2
by Ruby Member on Nov. 28, 2016 at 8:55 PM

I don't think it's an ASAP thing unless she's complaining of discomfort or that it's affecting her hearing or something.

My husband has ear wax issues.  He just produces a lot.  I think it's hereditary, his dad has the same problem.  My husband went to the doctor's recently and they told him he had an excessive amount of build-up but they didn't take care of it right then and there.  It was about two weeks later that he went in and had it removed.  All the doctor had him do before the removal was put a hot water & hydrogen peroxide solution in his ears the night before to start the process of breaking it up.

The point being, the doctor was fine with my husband waiting two weeks when he had an excessive amount.  So no, I don't think waiting a short period of time is a big issue when it comes to ear wax.  You don't want to put it off forever, but a few weeks can't hurt.

littlepinkrose
by Gold Member on Nov. 28, 2016 at 8:55 PM
It can be a problem. My nephew had a lot of wax one time and it affected his hearing. He does have a hearing problem, but the extra wax did not help.
The Dr.gave us some stuff that was drops to put in then put cotton in and it would come out. It worked great.
Wondering why the nurse made a huge deal out of it. My nephew always fails his hearing test. All they have done is send a note home saying we should go get his hearing checked out.
Never have they called or asked if he saw the Dr.about it.
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)