Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Family Christmas Dinner just got even more stressful. (Long family drama) **EDITED FOR MORE OPINIONS**

Anonymous
Posted by Anonymous
  • 73 Replies

So, our family meets at a community space, it's larger, has a great kitchen and is perfect for our ever-growing family.

We have at least 50 in our family that come to Thanksgiving and Dinner.

Well since we have so many, it costs at least $200 for the rental space, so everyone that is coming has to pay for their family and each member, except children. 

This year everyone had to pay $8.00/person for Thanksgiving.

Well when my sister, her Dh and I got there, our kids took off to play in the corner with their toys they brought, and we set our things at one of the set up tables. 

On one of the tables near the entrance where letters, a basic list of "What not to do's".

Like if you are 16 and over, you have to pay for yourself, or your family (parents) have to, or you can't come.

You can't take a carry out container to save food to take home until everyone has had their fill of food.

There were more, but anway, this was set up by 3 of our family members.

So my parents show up shortly after my sister and I, with our 17 year old brother, and once my dad finds the letters, he gets all upset, but doesn't say anything.

He just stews a little and complains to me and my sister.

When he gets home, my sister calls to tell me that my dad called her to tell her that because of all the things on the list, him, my mother and brother aren't going. Because now they have to pay extra for my brother because he's 17 and doesn't have a job because his main focus needs to be on school, even though when my sister and I were younger, we both had jobs.

So I can't wait until Christmas time, when everyone finds out my parents and my brother aren't going.

My sister and I have talked about it, and we both think that the letter makes sense, it makes it fair for everyone, my brother is 17 and should have to pay for a plate. It wouldn't kill him to have a job.

*sigh*

So much for the 'Merry' in Merry Christmas.... 

*Edited*

No one bought all the food, we all brought food to the get together, everyone in the family is responsible for a dish.

Some bring the stuffing

others bring other appetizers

others are in charge of desserts

and beverages are 2-liters of pop.

1 person in charge of turkey

1 person in charge of ham.

No one paid for food to eat there!

Posted by Anonymous on Nov. 28, 2016 at 8:54 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
Anonymous
by Anonymous 1 - Original Poster on Nov. 28, 2016 at 8:54 PM

BUMP!

Anonymous
by Anonymous 1 - Original Poster on Nov. 28, 2016 at 8:54 PM

BUMP!

Anonymous
by Anonymous 1 - Original Poster on Nov. 28, 2016 at 8:55 PM

BUMP!

Anonymous
by Anonymous 2 on Nov. 28, 2016 at 8:58 PM
2 moms liked this
It's $8. If money is that tight for your parents maybe you should offer to pay for your brother.
Anonymous
by Anonymous 3 on Nov. 28, 2016 at 8:58 PM
4 moms liked this
That's stupid to it should be 18 ... your still a child at 17 legally. If he's not doing to well in school that should be his main focus so what if you and your sister worked each child is different
Anonymous
by Anonymous 4 on Nov. 28, 2016 at 8:58 PM
2 moms liked this
You are all equally ridiculous.

Your parents for being upset that they have to pay for him to eat, and you for being bitter that he's not working.
quinnsmom715
by Ruby Member on Nov. 28, 2016 at 9:00 PM
1 mom liked this

weird to make everyone pay for their own..like,happy thanksgiving..wheres your 8 bucks?

Inana
by Controversial on Nov. 28, 2016 at 9:03 PM
All over $8?
Theresa1209
by Gold Member on Nov. 28, 2016 at 9:04 PM
1 mom liked this
I don't think another $8 is going to kill anybody, but they ahold just do l8 and up and keep it easy. You're parents must not really like to go, or something so small wouldn't keep them away.
Anonymous
by Anonymous 5 on Nov. 28, 2016 at 9:05 PM
7 moms liked this

You have the pettiest family I've ever heard of. I come from a huge family too and no one has ever had to pay to attend the get together. Might as well go out to eat if you're paying. A list of rules? Ridiculous!

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)