Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Would you rather-DV related

Anonymous
Posted by Anonymous
  • 11 Replies
Back story first:
Tonight I heard screaming from a neighbors house. It sounded as if a woman was screaming and there was some kind of thumping sound. I called the police and they sent out two patrols to look for the disturbance but ultimately came up empty handed. I feel like i made a mistake by calling since nothing came of it.

They did knock on one door so it's possible it was the tv???

So my question is: would you rather call and have nothing come of it or not call and risk ignoring a potential domestic disturbance.
Posted by Anonymous on Dec. 11, 2016 at 12:20 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
Anonymous
by Anonymous 2 on Dec. 11, 2016 at 12:21 AM
Call and have nothing come of it.

I called and reported gun shots one night. Turns out it was fire crackers. Damn things were loud. Oops.
Anonymous
by Anonymous 1 - Original Poster on Dec. 11, 2016 at 12:58 AM
I'm glad it turned out ok but I feel a little silly for calling now.

Quoting Anonymous 2: Call and have nothing come of it.

I called and reported gun shots one night. Turns out it was fire crackers. Damn things were loud. Oops.
Anonymous
by Anonymous 3 on Dec. 11, 2016 at 1:04 AM
I'd rather call and it turn out to be nothing. I'd give as much info to dispatch as possible.
Anonymous
by Anonymous 4 on Dec. 11, 2016 at 1:05 AM

I would rather not call and risk ignoring a potential domestic disturbance.

Anonymous
by Anonymous 1 - Original Poster on Dec. 11, 2016 at 1:06 AM
I did. In fact, one of the patrols came to my house to ensure the info they had was correct. I can't help but wonder if most police would rather we make these unsure calls or not...

Quoting Anonymous 3: I'd rather call and it turn out to be nothing. I'd give as much info to dispatch as possible.
Anonymous
by Anonymous 1 - Original Poster on Dec. 11, 2016 at 1:06 AM
Can I ask why?

Quoting Anonymous 4:

I would rather not call and risk ignoring a potential domestic disturbance.

rachel216
by Platinum Member on Dec. 11, 2016 at 1:07 AM
1 mom liked this
Definitely call, every time. Most of the time it's probably a dv issue and the women lied. I wouldn't want to take the chance of it actually being dv and someone getting seriously hurt vs it being an honest mistake
Anonymous
by Anonymous 3 on Dec. 11, 2016 at 1:10 AM
I don't give a crap if the cops like it or not, it's their job. I don't call for no reason, if I were to call it's because I think there might be a problem, and it's the job of the police to look into it.

Quoting Anonymous 1: I did. In fact, one of the patrols came to my house to ensure the info they had was correct. I can't help but wonder if most police would rather we make these unsure calls or not...

Quoting Anonymous 3: I'd rather call and it turn out to be nothing. I'd give as much info to dispatch as possible.
Anonymous
by Anonymous 5 on Dec. 11, 2016 at 1:14 AM
Call, always!

I wish someone had cared enough to call the night my best friend was killed but the neighbors "didn't want to get involved in their martial issues" and ignored her screams.

I don't think I could live with myself if I found out I had the potential to help someone and didn't, as a result of my failure to act someone got seriously hurt or worse.
Anonymous
by Anonymous 1 - Original Poster on Dec. 11, 2016 at 1:24 AM
You know, I'll admit I almost didn't call and kind of wish I hadn't wasted the polices' time but at the same time, I remember watching someone call for help and doing nothing because I was home alone with small children. The police did eventually come, but I feel bad for not having called myself.

Quoting Anonymous 5: Call, always!

I wish someone had cared enough to call the night my best friend was killed but the neighbors "didn't want to get involved in their martial issues" and ignored her screams.

I don't think I could live with myself if I found out I had the potential to help someone and didn't, as a result of my failure to act someone got seriously hurt or worse.
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)