Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

they threw a party for me

Anonymous
Posted by Anonymous
  • 19 Replies

i recently found out that I'm native American. Choctaw and Comanche. its taken me YEARS to track everything down because my great great grandpa was ripped from his tribe and put in a boarding school where they beat all native things out of them. when he was 10 or 12 his family broke him out and they fled to texas and then came to California. anyway i told one of my coworkers that i finally found out everything and a week later (yesterday) they threw me a party. no one knew what to call it but it was fun. they all knew how much of a hassle its been finding all this stuff with family lying and hiding the whole boarding school thing saying he was from texas to hide everything. I'm relieved to finally know, i never got a chance to ask my great grandma anything about it.

don't know. just thought i'd post something nice today. in a weird way i feel whole as stupid as that sounds, i felt like i was missing something not knowing, maybe because i didnt want to say i was something when i wasnt.

Posted by Anonymous on Dec. 11, 2016 at 12:02 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
Anonymous
by Anonymous 2 on Dec. 11, 2016 at 12:05 PM
That's really nice of them. I don't know my background fully but I'd love to. I've been thinking about doing one of those ancestry things online
Anonymous
by Anonymous 1 - Original Poster on Dec. 11, 2016 at 12:07 PM

i started with the ancestry search thing. then dh got me the dna test for my birthday.

Quoting Anonymous 2: That's really nice of them. I don't know my background fully but I'd love to. I've been thinking about doing one of those ancestry things online

eyes4ears
by Sapphire Member on Dec. 11, 2016 at 12:07 PM
Congratulations. It's nice to know your heritage.
That was so nice of your friends to throw you a knowledge party.
Anonymous
by Anonymous 2 on Dec. 11, 2016 at 1:59 PM
How specific was the DNA test? Did it give you specific countries or just the region?

Quoting Anonymous 1:

i started with the ancestry search thing. then dh got me the dna test for my birthday.

Quoting Anonymous 2: That's really nice of them. I don't know my background fully but I'd love to. I've been thinking about doing one of those ancestry things online

Anonymous
by Anonymous 1 - Original Poster on Dec. 11, 2016 at 2:01 PM

countries but there are some that are just like "youre from this region" and then gives you a list of places from the region that your dna could be from.

Quoting Anonymous 2: How specific was the DNA test? Did it give you specific countries or just the region?
Quoting Anonymous 1:

Anonymous
by Anonymous 2 on Dec. 11, 2016 at 2:08 PM
Oh ok great! Thank you for answering my questions

Quoting Anonymous 1:

countries but there are some that are just like "youre from this region" and then gives you a list of places from the region that your dna could be from.

Quoting Anonymous 2: How specific was the DNA test? Did it give you specific countries or just the region?

Quoting Anonymous 1:

PrettyLittle6
by LeahLikesPerfect on Dec. 11, 2016 at 2:11 PM
That's awesome! It must feel really nice to finally have that information. And that's really sweet, what your coworkers did for you. I'm happy for you 🙂
lenashark
by Emerald Member on Dec. 11, 2016 at 2:18 PM

I don't think you shuold really say you are Native American just because you just found out you are 6% and did not grow up at all around the traditions or culture. My great-grandfather was African American and my great-grandmother was ethnic Jewish and I don't say I am African American or Jewish because it is such a small amount and it isn't like I was raised in the Jewish tradition or experienced life from that point of view. Sorry, I don't mean to be mean about it, but it is just a pet peeve when people just found out that they are a tiny percentage of an ethnicity because they had a distant ancestor that they didn't meet who was that ethnicity and now all of a sudden they take ownership of that.

Anonymous
by Anonymous 1 - Original Poster on Dec. 11, 2016 at 2:20 PM

actually, I'm 38% native American. 50% Scottish and the rest is littered with french, Swedish, and Irish

also I've always said im part native american. it's not like I'm changing something I've said my entire life just because I've found out. I've always said I was.

Quoting lenashark:

I don't think you shuold really say you are Native American just because you just found out you are 6% and did not grow up at all around the traditions or culture. My great-grandfather was African American and my great-grandmother was ethnic Jewish and I don't say I am African American or Jewish because it is such a small amount and it isn't like I was raised in the Jewish tradition or experienced life from that point of view. Sorry, I don't mean to be mean about it, but it is just a pet peeve when people just found out that they are a tiny percentage of an ethnicity because they had a distant ancestor that they didn't meet who was that ethnicity and now all of a sudden they take ownership of that.

lenashark
by Emerald Member on Dec. 11, 2016 at 2:25 PM

Having one great-great-grandfather who is native wouldn't make you 38%. 

Quoting Anonymous 1:

actually, I'm 38% native American. 50% Scottish and the rest is littered with french, Swedish, and Irish

also I've always said im part native american. it's not like I'm changing something I've said my entire life just because I've found out. I've always said I was.

Quoting lenashark:

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)