Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

How long does this take?

Anonymous
Posted by Anonymous
  • 33 Replies
My daughter is getting her license on Saturday. She has 6,000 to buy a car. A friend of ours lost his wife a few weeks ago and needs to sell her car. He's selling it for 4,000 so this is perfect.

The only issue is the title is in his wife's name.

How long does it take to fix that so he can sell it to is? She really wants a car by next Monday so she's not sure if she should look else where or wait for this car.
Posted by Anonymous on Dec. 11, 2016 at 2:18 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
Anonymous
by Anonymous 1 - Original Poster on Dec. 11, 2016 at 2:22 PM
B
ninjakids
by Christina on Dec. 11, 2016 at 2:24 PM
No idea, he may have to get it in his name first. Here a change of ownership is simple, the owner signs the back of the registration papers and the new owner brings it to the DMV
Anonymous
by Anonymous 2 on Dec. 11, 2016 at 2:25 PM
I'm not sure. I remember my grandpa having issues when my grandma died because they were on the title as and instead of or so they wanted her signature too. It took a few months to clear up.
Anonymous
by Anonymous 3 on Dec. 11, 2016 at 2:28 PM
I would imagine he needs to show the dmv her death certificate and get the car put in his name first. However it normally takes about a month for the death certificate to come in. He has to apply for it and it gets mailed. Then has to go to dmv. I do not think it's possible by Monday.
iamme1986
by Platinum Member on Dec. 11, 2016 at 2:30 PM
I bought a car once with the womans deceased husband on the title. We just had to take his death certificate with us to get my title
Anonymous
by Anonymous 1 - Original Poster on Dec. 11, 2016 at 2:34 PM
Well yeah....but She's dead

Quoting ninjakids: No idea, he may have to get it in his name first. Here a change of ownership is simple, the owner signs the back of the registration papers and the new owner brings it to the DMV
Anonymous
by Anonymous 1 - Original Poster on Dec. 11, 2016 at 2:35 PM
Oh, well I hope it's that easy

Quoting iamme1986: I bought a car once with the womans deceased husband on the title. We just had to take his death certificate with us to get my title
Anonymous
by Anonymous 4 on Dec. 11, 2016 at 2:40 PM
Is the vehicle paid off? Does he have a death certificate?
mojogirl
by Ouiser Boudreaux on Dec. 11, 2016 at 2:43 PM
I'd look elsewhere. If it has to be probated it could take months. For now, it's a dirty title. Don't fork over money for a dirty title.
Anonymous
by Anonymous 1 - Original Poster on Dec. 11, 2016 at 2:45 PM
Yes, I don't know

Quoting Anonymous 4: Is the vehicle paid off? Does he have a death certificate?
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)