Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Spin off of should they be charged like adults?

Anonymous
Posted by Anonymous
  • 6 Replies

I find it ironic that if a 17 year old is having sex, must people would say "she is just a child, she or he is too young to have sex" etc, but when it is about some sort of crime, they are old enough to be charged as adults. I think you can't have it both ways. Either they are kids, children, minors or they are adults. What do you think?

Posted by Anonymous on Dec. 11, 2016 at 2:54 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-6):
mrjjmt
by Bronze Member on Dec. 11, 2016 at 3:01 PM
I agree. Either you get both privileges and punishment as an adult or you don't. If you are not a legal adult, you can't be charged as one for criminal purposes.
Anonymous
by Anonymous 1 - Original Poster on Dec. 11, 2016 at 3:07 PM

I don't mean to hijack your post, is just that the double standards baffles me when we talk about sex or other issue. If its is sex they are children until they are 30, but if it is a crime they are adults after 14. It doesn't makes sense at all.

Quoting mrjjmt: I agree. Either you get both privileges and punishment as an adult or you don't. If you are not a legal adult, you can't be charged as one for criminal purposes.

Anonymous
by Anonymous 2 on Dec. 11, 2016 at 3:12 PM
True. But they are charges AS adults. There isn't any magic number where someone is grown . A 17 year and 364 day old isn't different than an 18 year old. They gave to draw some line.

Sometimes a crime is so heinous the person doesn't get to be treated with kid gloves. The threat to society takes precedence.
Anonymous
by Anonymous 3 on Dec. 11, 2016 at 3:15 PM
I personally think in both cases, sex and crime, they should be treated like adults at 17.
ejkdmom
by Platinum Member on Dec. 11, 2016 at 3:18 PM
The law is full of contradictions as to when a child is an adult. They can vote at 18 but can't drink?
Anonymous
by Anonymous 1 - Original Poster on Dec. 11, 2016 at 5:53 PM

I agree! I have never udersttod that either.

Quoting ejkdmom: The law is full of contradictions as to when a child is an adult. They can vote at 18 but can't drink?

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)