Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

How do you use WIC?

Anonymous
Posted by Anonymous
  • 66 Replies
SO and I are having a really hard time financially right now. I'm halfway through my pregnancy and I'm freaking out because we have nothing for the baby yet.
If we could save money on food, we could save money and staft buying the necessary items.

We applied for food stamps but according to them we make too much money. Anyway, we get WIC and that helps a little. I'm just wordering if any of you ladies know of a way to stretch it out to make it last.. like recipes that make a lot to freeze for later.
Posted by Anonymous on Dec. 11, 2016 at 6:31 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
Anonymous
by Anonymous 2 on Dec. 11, 2016 at 6:33 PM
2 moms liked this
Why are you having a baby if you can't afford it?
Anonymous
by Anonymous 3 on Dec. 11, 2016 at 6:34 PM
3 moms liked this

Lots of beans, lentils and pastas. Soups and chili's this time of year are great. 

Anonymous
by Anonymous 4 on Dec. 11, 2016 at 6:35 PM

Quoting Anonymous 2: Why are you having a baby if you can't afford it?
OliRye1234
by Ruby Member on Dec. 11, 2016 at 6:35 PM
1 mom liked this
Because every baby is planned, right? And life never throws a curve ball.

Anonymous
by Anonymous 2 on Dec. 11, 2016 at 6:38 PM
Then she needs to make a decision. If she is struggling now, she's in trouble. Kids cost a lot of money. She's already using assistance and she's only half way.

Quoting OliRye1234: Because every baby is planned, right? And life never throws a curve ball.

OliRye1234
by Ruby Member on Dec. 11, 2016 at 6:40 PM
Ok? How do you know this isn't temporary? I was on WIC when I had my oldest. Now we make too much. Things change.

Quoting Anonymous 2: Then she needs to make a decision. If she is struggling now, she's in trouble. Kids cost a lot of money. She's already using assistance and she's only half way.

Quoting OliRye1234: Because every baby is planned, right? And life never throws a curve ball.

Anonymous
by Anonymous 5 on Dec. 11, 2016 at 6:41 PM

Sometimes birth control isn't 100% reliable! And sometimes a person's financial circumstances can change while pregnant. This happened to me the first time. That's what WIC is there for. 

I only used it for a little while years and years ago. I didn't use the peanut butter because I'm allergic and I got the beans instead and you can do a lot of different things with beans. Tacos using beans instead of meat...minestrone type soups

You can plan ahead and if your milk is going to expire soon, then make pudding. If your bread is about to go stale, make french toast. 

I'm not sure...what do they have on the WIC list these days? I know it changes from time to time...

Tinse
by Crazy Bird Lady on Dec. 11, 2016 at 6:42 PM
1 mom liked this

I just found a couple of interesting and inexpensive recipes earlier on today.

I was going to post them in the recipe thread, but I can share this with you.

It sounds good, this recipe, and  it is inexpensive to make.

CHICKEN NOODLE CASSEROLE

Serves 6

INGREDIENTS

1. 2 cups uncooked egg noodles
  2. 2 cups cooked, shredded chicken
  3. 1 (10 oz.) package frozen peas and carrots
  4. 1 (10 oz.) package frozen corn
  5. 1 cup milk
  6. 1 (10 oz.) can cream of chicken soup
  7. 1 (10 oz.) can cream of mushroom soup
  8. salt and pepper, to taste
  9. 1/2 Tablespoon dried minced onion
  10. 2 Tablespoons melted butter
  11. 1/2 teaspoon garlic powder
  12. 1/2 teaspoon Italian seasoning (optional)

INSTRUCTIONS

1. Preheat oven to 350° F. Spray a 9x13 inch baking dish with nonstick spray.
  2. Boil egg noodles according to package directions. Drain water.
  3. Meanwhile, in a large bowl combine all the other remaining ingredients. Add cooked noodles to mixture. Gently stir to combine everything. Pour into prepared baking dish. Cover with foil.
  4. Bake 30 minutes or until heated through. Remove from oven and let stand 5 minutes before serving. Enjoy!

I illustrate the recipes on my blog - this pic features our young cockatiel, Baby.  He loves to eat!

Anonymous
by Anonymous 6 on Dec. 11, 2016 at 6:43 PM
1 mom liked this
Chili is good, buy bags of beans and cook from scratch. You can either keep it meat free or use turkey, chicken, or ground burger. The beans help you stretch the meat and you have left overs for other meals.

Left over burger can be used for sloppy joes, just need bread and a can of the sauce. Left over chicken can be pulled BBQ chicken sandwitches.

Rice is a cheap filler and you can but huge bags. Frozen veggies are cheaper than fresh often.

Crock pot meals, casseroles.

Beans and corn bread.

Pasta and sauce.

Roman noodles.

PB&J.

Cereal and milk.

Pretzals for snacks.
Anonymous
by Anonymous 7 on Dec. 11, 2016 at 6:43 PM
1 mom liked this
WIC is pretty much staple food that you consume right away. It's really not enough to stock your pantry.
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)