Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Attempting to scam or honest mistake? Update after talking to my manager

Anonymous
Posted by Anonymous
  • 52 Replies

I am a cashier.  Lady comes through.  I don't exactly remember what she bought, it wasn't much.  She handed me a $20 and the change.  Her change was $14.  I remember this clearly because I had just opened a new bunch of $1 and they were really sticking together.  I had to try 3 times because I kept finding $1 stuck together.    

A couple minutes later, my manager comes up to me and tells me I need to move to another lane, she has to pull my drawer.  Okay, but I am the middle of scanning, we're busy, I have a line...

She says as soon as I can, close down and move so she can pull my drawer.  Pulling my drawer means that someone is saying I gave them incorrect change.  

I kind of look around while I am trying to get my customers through and I see the lady that had the $14.  She is showing my manager her receipt and was pointing things out.  My manager takes it in hand and looks at it for a minute and says "Ma'am, this isn't even the right receipt for today.  For one, you pointed out [me] as being the cashier, but this receipt doesn't have her name, it has [afternoon co-worker] as the cashier.  Also, this is from [2 days ago] and from [afternoon time]."  The lady says rather hatefully "Well, I know I have the right one in the car then...I will just go get it."  Manager says "Yes, I have to have the right receipt to justify pulling the drawer.  Bring me the right one and I will gladly pull the drawer and fix any mistakes." 

Lady leaves in a huff.  She never came back in and my manager never pulled my drawer.

I truly think that since we were so busy, she thought she would get my manager to just give her more money to be done with it.   

I finally got a chance to ask my manager what exactly happened.  She said the lady came to her and said I didn't give her the change back at all.  She told my manager that she should have got a $10 back.  She gave my manager the receipt that said her change should have been $10.  That is when my manager showed her that she had the wrong receipt and the lady left.  About 2 hours after I left, the lady called back and said she had "got the receipts mixed up" and had actually found the right receipt and the change in her pocket once she left.

I still think she was trying to pull a scam and pulled the wrong receipt out of her pocket to show my manager in hopes that my manager would give her money back since we were so busy.   

Posted by Anonymous on Dec. 11, 2016 at 9:17 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
madamlunna213
by Silver Member on Dec. 11, 2016 at 9:30 PM
1 mom liked this
It could be an honest mistake. She could have found the correct receipt and been too embarrassed to come back in. If YOU had shortchanged a customer I'm betting you would be mad as hell if they said you did it intentionally.
Anonymous
by Anonymous 2 on Dec. 11, 2016 at 9:32 PM
Scam. People tried crap like that all the time when I worked at Kmart.
Anonymous
by Anonymous 3 on Dec. 11, 2016 at 9:33 PM
How much was she saying she was owed?
Anonymous
by Anonymous 4 on Dec. 11, 2016 at 9:38 PM
I'm not sure I guess it could go either way... it's possible she got confused and then left embarrassed? Either way it would've been a dumb plan to get money if that was her intention.

When I worked at a grocery store years ago I got really sick during my shift, and it was during this annual mega-sale. I started feeling dehydrated and was getting dizzy then I fainted. I probably did mess up scanning the items but as I was handing in my drawer I heard the lady yelling at the service desk "Are your cashiers on drugs? Because it sure seems like she was on something!!" I was pregnant with twins and I'm tiny so my pregnancy was obvious. It was really insulting that she was yelling that I was on drugs. I actually went into labor that same day 11 weeks early.
sha_lyn68
by Ruby Member on Dec. 11, 2016 at 9:45 PM
I had a customer at Wendy's in highschool swear he gave me a $100 bill. Manager pulled my drawer and balanced it. No $100 bill, no overage etc. Guy claimed I pocketed the money. I emptied my pockets. Guy stormed off saying he was calling the police. He came back a while later and apologized. He got home and started unloading his car and remembered he broke the $100 and spent most of it at Walmart before coming to Wendy's
Anonymous
by Anonymous 1 - Original Poster on Dec. 11, 2016 at 9:50 PM

I didn't catch it.  Probably attempting to say that she gave me a $50 and I gave her change for a $20.  Happens daily.   

Quoting Anonymous 3: How much was she saying she was owed?

shoot4thestars
by Gold Member on Dec. 11, 2016 at 9:53 PM
That almost sounds like she just got confused. I mean, most people that I've seen trying to pull that will cut the end of the receipt off with the date and time. You know, give it an effort to make it believable. Maybe she just got confused with another receipt and her change. I worked retail as a cashier for 6 years and that what I would have thought.
Anonymous
by Anonymous 1 - Original Poster on Dec. 11, 2016 at 9:54 PM

People attempt to do it daily.  Swear up and down they gave me a $50 and I gave them change for a $20.  I had a guy say it the other day.  I had no bills larger than $20 in my drawer.  Said I pocketed it.  Kind of hard for me to pocket it when I didn't have any pockets on my pants and wearing a polo shirt provided by the company.  He told the manager to check my shoes!  She told him to get the hell out of her store.

Quoting madamlunna213: It could be an honest mistake. She could have found the correct receipt and been too embarrassed to come back in. If YOU had shortchanged a customer I'm betting you would be mad as hell if they said you did it intentionally.

Anonymous
by Anonymous 1 - Original Poster on Dec. 11, 2016 at 9:58 PM

It was the timing.  She didn't have the time to get out to her car and come back in to complain.  

Quoting shoot4thestars: That almost sounds like she just got confused. I mean, most people that I've seen trying to pull that will cut the end of the receipt off with the date and time. You know, give it an effort to make it believable. Maybe she just got confused with another receipt and her change. I worked retail as a cashier for 6 years and that what I would have thought.

Anonymous
by Anonymous 3 on Dec. 11, 2016 at 10:01 PM
Could be either way but since she had the wrong receipt and couldn't "find" the right one when she hadn't even left the store makes me think scam.

Plus my first instinct if I thought I got the wrong change would be to approach the cashier.

Quoting Anonymous 1:

I didn't catch it.  Probably attempting to say that she gave me a $50 and I gave her change for a $20.  Happens daily.   

Quoting Anonymous 3: How much was she saying she was owed?

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)