Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Is 18 the magic age where you are suddenly an adult?

Anonymous
Posted by Anonymous
  • 144 Replies
4 moms liked this
"Either someone is an adult, or they are not. There is no in between"

Do you agree?

My opinion:
There most definitely is a spectrum. People don't instantly switch from child to adult on their 18th birthday. In many ways legally, yes, but not all. Which is why there are varying ages around those years for certain rights and responsibilities, like driving a car, buying cigarettes, getting reproductive health care without parental knowledge, ddecisions about a pregnancy, drinking alcohol, whether your parent's income can be factored in to your college financial aid, whether you can enter the military, etc. 
Posted by Anonymous on Dec. 11, 2016 at 9:56 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
imthatgirl0607
by Emerald Member on Dec. 11, 2016 at 9:58 PM
Yes you are an adult at 18. I don't see how that can be in question.
fullxbusymom
by Sapphire Member on Dec. 11, 2016 at 10:00 PM
13 moms liked this

No, I do not agree.  They are transitioning to an adult but even though in the eyes of the law they are an adult, they still need a lot of parental guidance.  I know this as I have an 19 & 18yr old.

lucky2Beeme
by Emerald Member on Dec. 11, 2016 at 10:01 PM
5 moms liked this
On paper yes but many aren't ready or mature enough to be responsible adults at 18.
smorgan865
by Emerald Member on Dec. 11, 2016 at 10:01 PM
5 moms liked this
I think we should agree on an adult age and make it across the board.

If that means it's 21 to align with the current US drinking age, then so be it. If it's 18 and things need to be allowed sooner, then so be it. If it's some other agreed upon age, then so be it.
Anonymous
by Anonymous 1 - Original Poster on Dec. 11, 2016 at 10:01 PM
1 mom liked this
And yet we give some "adult" rights and responsibilities before 18, and others not til after 18. Some not even til after 21.

Quoting imthatgirl0607: Yes you are an adult at 18. I don't see how that can be in question.
Anonymous
by Anonymous 2 on Dec. 11, 2016 at 10:03 PM
Ok...so

Quoting Anonymous 1: And yet we give some "adult" rights and responsibilities before 18, and others not til after 18. Some not even til after 21.

Quoting imthatgirl0607: Yes you are an adult at 18. I don't see how that can be in question.
Masterchefmom
by Sapphire Member on Dec. 11, 2016 at 10:03 PM
Where I live at 18 you are considered an adult period. The age does not vary really. There might be some that are immature and can't handle it but in general at 18 people are functioning adults.
Anonymous
by Anonymous 1 - Original Poster on Dec. 11, 2016 at 10:03 PM
So things like driving privileges should wait until 18, or 21, or...?

Quoting smorgan865: I think we should agree on an adult age and make it across the board.

If that means it's 21 to align with the current US drinking age, then so be it. If it's 18 and things need to be allowed sooner, then so be it. If it's some other agreed upon age, then so be it.
Anonymous
by Anonymous 3 on Dec. 11, 2016 at 10:04 PM
3 moms liked this
Legally at 18 you're an adult but honestly, depending on what culture you're in, it depends. In my culture we are very family-oriented and living with patents isn't some huge thing that's shameful.
Anonymous
by Anonymous 4 on Dec. 11, 2016 at 10:04 PM
1 mom liked this
My parents gave me zero guidance I and I tuned out okay.
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)