Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Is it really so wrong to feel this way?

Anonymous
Posted by Anonymous
  • 31 Replies
I was venting to my mother the other day about how sad I feel sometimes about being single still and only having one child. I had always dreamed of having 3-4 kids who were close in age since my sisters were 12 and 14 years older than me it was hard to be close to them. I split with my sons father when he was 1, so I have been single for 7 years. My mom yelled at me for being selfish and ungrateful. She said I don't need a husband and I should be happy I have one child. Of course I love my son, but is it wrong to grieve for the dream family I'll never have?
Posted by Anonymous on Dec. 13, 2016 at 12:29 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
Anonymous
by Anonymous 2 on Dec. 13, 2016 at 12:31 AM
1 mom liked this
No there is nothing wrong with feeling disappointed with the way life takes us.
brime98
by Ruby Member on Dec. 13, 2016 at 12:32 AM
Why did you choose to not have more children?
tsatske2
by Latricia on Dec. 13, 2016 at 12:32 AM
2 moms liked this

The way you feel is never wrong, only actions are wrong. It's okay to grieve a little bit about a dream you had. Your mother should not have yelled at you, that was insensitive and immature. Maybe she was hungry or having a bad day?

Anonymous
by Anonymous 3 on Dec. 13, 2016 at 12:35 AM

It's not wrong, but your mom is probably sick of hearing it if you vent to her often (and by "often", I mean more than once).

Anonymous
by Anonymous 1 - Original Poster on Dec. 13, 2016 at 12:37 AM
Quoting brime98: Why did you choose to not have more children?

After separating from my ex I haven't really dated. A few dates here and there but nothing serious. Absolutely no dates for the last 2 years. Can't have kids in that situation.
Anonymous
by Anonymous 4 on Dec. 13, 2016 at 12:37 AM

She should not have yelled at you for being selfish and ungrateful. It is not wrong to grieve for the dream family that you will never have.

Anonymous
by Anonymous 1 - Original Poster on Dec. 13, 2016 at 12:38 AM
Quoting Anonymous 3:

It's not wrong, but your mom is probably sick of hearing it if you vent to her often (and by "often", I mean more than once).

I really try not to vent to her but she said something related and I was having a tough day and it came out.
OrangeBalloon
by Emerald Member on Dec. 13, 2016 at 12:39 AM
Life is weird and unexpected. I thought I would have two children while I was young and they would be close age wise. Well I had one child at 31 and I am done.
brime98
by Ruby Member on Dec. 13, 2016 at 12:39 AM
Yeah, you can. Dating has, or should have, little to nothing to do with motherhood. There are options.

Quoting Anonymous 1:
Quoting brime98: Why did you choose to not have more children?

After separating from my ex I haven't really dated. A few dates here and there but nothing serious. Absolutely no dates for the last 2 years. Can't have kids in that situation.
Anonymous
by Anonymous 1 - Original Poster on Dec. 13, 2016 at 12:40 AM
Quoting tsatske2:

The way you feel is never wrong, only actions are wrong. It's okay to grieve a little bit about a dream you had. Your mother should not have yelled at you, that was insensitive and immature. Maybe she was hungry or having a bad day?

She's having marital issues so she's been extra grumpy. She does like to yell at me though if I have an opinion that differs from hers. My son and I joke around a lot about our really small family and that he wants me to marry a lawyer so we'd be rich and have a "million more kids" lol
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)