Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Complaining about daycare costs...

Anonymous
Posted by Anonymous
  • 66 Replies
Why does it cost so damn much when employees aren't paid shit? Even with a bachelor's in education, I was offered 9.50 an hour to run my own vpk classroom. That was the SAME I was getting paid as a teachers assistant! I love teaching the young ages. I can't wait until my children grow up, I can move, and open a home daycare!
Posted by Anonymous on Dec. 13, 2016 at 9:21 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
fullxbusymom
by Sapphire Member on Dec. 13, 2016 at 9:23 AM

Completely depends where you live as to what daycare and or wages typically are.  Where I live most 16yr olds get paid what you are now to simply work fast food. 

Anonymous
by Anonymous 2 on Dec. 13, 2016 at 9:24 AM
If you have a bachelors, why don't you go teach in an elementary school or something?
Mom-to-2kids
by Sapphire Member on Dec. 13, 2016 at 9:25 AM
Hell if I know. I think my DD VPK teacher deserves much more! She is amazing.
MommyOfOne2710
by Platinum Member on Dec. 13, 2016 at 9:26 AM
I don't know but it's pretty sad. I have a job as a CNA for a federal facility. There are a lot of Bachelor's degrees I could get where I would make less than I do now.

Recently, when I was looking for a part-time babysitter for my 2 kids, I had girls who were 19-20 asking for $15 an hour. That is more than what most people start out making WITH a degree around here. They usually don't have any experience and they think babysitting is the easiest way to make money. Full time daycares don't even cost $15 an hour in my city.
Anonymous
by Anonymous 1 - Original Poster on Dec. 13, 2016 at 9:27 AM
There was a huge influx of elementary education graduates the past few years. And just around the time they decided to cut back on teachers. Daycares were hiring, with the promise of my own classroom and a raise. Come time, they ask if I mind not getting a raise because they aren't doing so well. Nope, not more work for same pay.

Quoting Anonymous 2: If you have a bachelors, why don't you go teach in an elementary school or something?
IsaidsothatsY
by Member on Dec. 13, 2016 at 9:27 AM
I dont get it either. I was making about the same after college. The really sad part is that was 12 years ago. I will never understand why the people put in charge of the future(children!) get paid crap.
Anonymous
by Anonymous 3 on Dec. 13, 2016 at 9:31 AM
They're $20 a day per child here! That's only $100/week/child... Which still sucks for a mom with three kids if she has two in full-time daycare and one in aftercare she still pays $250 a week in child care when she only gets paid 400 gross). It's part of the reason why I work for myself!

Quoting MommyOfOne2710: I don't know but it's pretty sad. I have a job as a CNA for a federal facility. There are a lot of Bachelor's degrees I could get where I would make less than I do now.

Recently, when I was looking for a part-time babysitter for my 2 kids, I had girls who were 19-20 asking for $15 an hour. That is more than what most people start out making WITH a degree around here. They usually don't have any experience and they think babysitting is the easiest way to make money. Full time daycares don't even cost $15 an hour in my city.
Anonymous
by Anonymous 4 on Dec. 13, 2016 at 9:31 AM
Taxes on each employee take their fair share, food for the kids, inurance for the business and vehicles...the list goes on. A lot of money goes in to simply owning a center.
Anonymous
by Anonymous 5 on Dec. 13, 2016 at 9:32 AM

I say go into the childcare field. Some babysitters expect to get paid more than what I make an hour.

Catherinesmom12
by on Dec. 13, 2016 at 9:32 AM
Bright horizons is $4000 a month here.
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)