Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Confessions of an SSDI worker

Anonymous
Posted by Anonymous
  • 111 Replies
3 moms liked this

I work in a clinic where people applying for SSDI come to get evaluated or if they already recieve it they come in for reviews.

1. When scheduling appointments, if you refuse to take a morning time because "you don't do mornings" I think you're lazy as fuck unless it's actually due to your disability.

2. If you try to get benefits for all 4 of your kids who all have different last names because they have "ADHD" or asthma I think you're a mooching asshole.

3. If you have no manners, scream at your children or husband/wife while in the waiting room or on the phone, or put us on hold when scheduling appointments to order your fucking McChicken I'm hardcore judging you.

4. However, if you're polite and compliant and show that you actually do want to come in for an appointment I will go out of my way to help you and get you a good appointment/make sure you are treated well.

5. Don't name your kid shit like Starquasha or Semaj and apply for every benefit under the sun, as well as claiming a "mental disability".  You are feeding into a stereotype. 

6. If you are going to come to this country and apply for public assistance, learn the language.  Or at least try to learn it.  No, I'm not sending you an appointment letter in Spanish.  Learn to read simple English.  I wouldn't go to China and expect everyone to speak English to me. 

7. Back to numbers 2 and 5, I just feel sad for these kids.  Their parents exploit them to get a check every month and really make their kids think they're disabled.

8. When I see people outside of the clinic waiting for their taxi with children under 2 and they're smacking their kid around or calling them names/cursing them out, I will stop what I'm doing and give you the side eye.  If you're smacking your small child around I will report you to the clinic or probably say something to you myself. 

9. I'm extra accomodating to the elderly.

10. Sometimes I think the bosses here walk around outside of the clinic and hand out jobs to people they find because we work with some very interesting characters here as well.

Posted by Anonymous on Dec. 13, 2016 at 9:40 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
Anonymous
by Anonymous 1 - Original Poster on Dec. 13, 2016 at 9:43 AM

bump

tsatske2
by Latricia on Dec. 13, 2016 at 9:44 AM
2 moms liked this

#8 - report to CPS. Are you not a mandated reporter in your state? Even if you are not, do the right thing - report.

Anonymous
by Anonymous 2 on Dec. 13, 2016 at 9:44 AM
Cool story.
Leyse
by Bronze Member on Dec. 13, 2016 at 9:45 AM
Wait....you can get disability for ADHD?
KendallsMommee
by Spoiled SAHM on Dec. 13, 2016 at 9:46 AM
LOL!
aprilmercedesm
by Member on Dec. 13, 2016 at 9:47 AM

Thumbs up for #4...but I am guessing that that is rare! :(

SueWanda
by Platinum Member on Dec. 13, 2016 at 9:47 AM
4 moms liked this

#6- SSA absolutely offers appointment letters in Spanish.  Who are you to decide not to do so?

Anonymous
by Anonymous 1 - Original Poster on Dec. 13, 2016 at 9:48 AM

That's kind of a grey area with what gets reported to CPS but yes, I agree with you.  We have to call the police/ambulance if someone is suicidal or homicidal, no questions asked.  I haven't seen the clinic call CPS much though.  A lot of people don't consider a mom smacking around her toddler or calling the toddler a fucking asshole abuse, mostly because a lot of them identify with it I guess. 

The saddest thing I witnessed that actually made me tear up was a lady who came in with 3 kids for a psych eval.  There was nothing really wrong with her, she just didn't speak English and was homeless but she was oriented to date/time/location.  They were living in a shelter but switched to a motel on the same street as the clinic because she thought it was safer.  Sad/fucked up thing is the motels on this street is where a lot of sex offenders and men who just got out of jail/prison live.  It's definitely not a safe place for kids.  Her youngest child was a 2 year old the same age as my daughter, cute little kid.  They were all dressed in pajamas at 2 PM though and didn't look too clean.

Quoting tsatske2:

#8 - report to CPS. Are you not a mandated reporter in your state? Even if you are not, do the right thing - report.

Anonymous
by Anonymous 3 on Dec. 13, 2016 at 9:50 AM
1 mom liked this
#6 In California you'd be breaking a law by not providing information in Spanish when. Requested.
Anonymous
by Anonymous 1 - Original Poster on Dec. 13, 2016 at 9:50 AM
2 moms liked this

No they don't, at least not in the clinics.  There are translators available in person or on the phone for scheduling/completing appointments.  It's not up to me although if it was they definitely wouldn't be printed in Spanish or any other language.  Learn simple English if you're going to come here and ask for free stuff.

Quoting SueWanda:

#6- SSA absolutely offers appointment letters in Spanish.  Who are you to decide not to do so?

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)