Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Food help!!

Anonymous
Posted by Anonymous
  • 4 Replies

Ok I bought a frozen turkey on Saturday. It is 12 pounds. I was wondering how long it will last in my fridge before I have to cook it. Does anyone know? I was wanting to have it for Christmas but am afraid it would go bad by then. Sorry dumb question.

Posted by Anonymous on Dec. 13, 2016 at 10:17 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-4):
gkcathey
by Silver Member on Dec. 13, 2016 at 10:23 AM
1 mom liked this

Frozen in the fridge, 12 pounds could take 3-4 days to thaw.  If you put it in the fridge on Saturday I would cook it by Thursday/Friday at the latest.  No, I wouldn't wait 12 more days to cook it - it's fowl, you can't just leave it in the fridge indefinitely.  And no, don't put it in the freezer now that it's begun to thaw since Sat.    Just cook it this week, pull all the meat off and put in freezer bags and freeze the cooked meat.  Go ahead and make gravy and freeze that, too.  Pull everything the day or 2 before Christmas and thaw in the fridge.  Then, you can put the meat in a casserole with some stock, cover in foil and reheat in the oven on 200 so it doesn't dry out. 

mojogirl
by Ouiser Boudreaux on Dec. 13, 2016 at 10:25 AM

leave it in the freezer until about four days before christmas.

campfiresnowmen
by on Dec. 13, 2016 at 10:26 AM
This and don't forget to make broth. Freeze for whenever.

Quoting gkcathey:

Frozen in the fridge, 12 pounds could take 3-4 days to thaw.  If you put it in the fridge on Saturday I would cook it by Thursday/Friday at the latest.  No, I wouldn't wait 12 more days to cook it - it's fowl, you can't just leave it in the fridge indefinitely.  And no, don't put it in the freezer now that it's begun to thaw since Sat.    Just cook it this week, pull all the meat off and put in freezer bags and freeze the cooked meat.  Go ahead and make gravy and freeze that, too.  Pull everything the day or 2 before Christmas and thaw in the fridge.  Then, you can put the meat in a casserole with some stock, cover in foil and reheat in the oven on 200 so it doesn't dry out. 

redneckmama4
by Loree on Dec. 13, 2016 at 10:27 AM
It will take 4 days or so to thaw in the fridge.
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)