Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

North Carolina teen missing for 5 years found alive in Ohio

Posted by on Dec. 13, 2016 at 10:26 AM
  • 41 Replies

Updated: Tuesday, December 13, 2016 @ 7:53 AM
Published: Tuesday, December 13, 2016 @ 7:38 AM
By: Frank Luna

Courtesy FBI

The case of a missing 15-year-old girl from North Carolina has finally been solved five years later, but the ending comes with a twist.

Rachel Natacha Owens, who disappeared in May 2011, was found safe Friday in Columbus, Ohio. She is now 21 years old and went to great lengths to change her identity and hide her whereabouts, authorities said, adding that she “left and remained away on her own will.”

Owens assumed a false identity and date of birth, the Brunswick County, North Carolina, Sheriff’s Office said in a news release.

Video footage showed Owens getting off her school bus at South Brunswick High School in Boiling Springs Lake, North Carolina, on the day she vanished. She was seen getting into a car in the parking lot and then disappeared, according to the Wilmington Star News.

Reports say Owens had run away before but was never gone long. Authorities followed leads in the U.S. and Mexico, according to FBI special agent Rich Novelli. Owens once had written a story expressing a desire to go to Mexico, where friends thought she might have headed.

An FBI representative said the agency started to receive information that she might be in Ohio in 2014.

Novelli said he met with Owens’ family Friday and informed them that she was found alive and safe, adding that now they can “move on with rebuilding their relationship.”
by on Dec. 13, 2016 at 10:26 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
CraziestTexan39
by Creative Kook on Dec. 13, 2016 at 10:29 AM
WoW....I'm glad she's alive.
Anonymous
by Anonymous 1 on Dec. 13, 2016 at 10:31 AM
4 moms liked this
It'll be interesting to find out the details of why she left and went through so much trouble to stay hidden.
JalynSpoon
by CajunTarHeel on Dec. 13, 2016 at 10:31 AM
1 mom liked this

Wow.. I wonder why she wanted to leave & to go through great lengths to stay away.

Glad she is alive though. Hope they can fix whatever it is that is broken & take the correct steps to come together as a family again.

campfiresnowmen
by on Dec. 13, 2016 at 10:32 AM
2 moms liked this
I'm glad she's alive. I'm not sure they can rebuild their relationship, the daughter had made her intentions clear. At least the family can get some closure.
mojogirl
by Ouiser Boudreaux on Dec. 13, 2016 at 10:37 AM
6 moms liked this

kinda guessing there will be no rebuilding of relationships. you don't go to those kind of lengths because you want to remain close to the people you ran from.

mrsary
by Emerald Member on Dec. 13, 2016 at 10:42 AM
1 mom liked this
I wonder what happened for her to choose to disappear like that??
EmilyH87
by Platinum Member on Dec. 13, 2016 at 10:48 AM

Yeah, I thought the comment about that at the end was really odd. This girl went to great lengths to drop off the face of the Earth. Unless it turns out she ran off for what she now realizes was not actually that important of a reason, I don't see that as being the kind of setup where you'd want to rebuild the relationship with the the people you wanted to get away from. But who knows if we'll ever know her reasons.

Quoting mojogirl:

kinda guessing there will be no rebuilding of relationships. you don't go to those kind of lengths because you want to remain close to the people you ran from.

Lunarprancer
by Betsy on Dec. 13, 2016 at 10:51 AM

I found it odd as well.

Quoting EmilyH87:

Yeah, I thought the comment about that at the end was really odd. This girl went to great lengths to drop off the face of the Earth. Unless it turns out she ran off for what she now realizes was not actually that important of a reason, I don't see that as being the kind of setup where you'd want to rebuild the relationship with the the people you wanted to get away from. But who knows if we'll ever know her reasons.

Quoting mojogirl:

Anonymous
by Anonymous 2 on Dec. 13, 2016 at 10:52 AM
1 mom liked this

Makes you wonder what was going on in that home....

Oliviasmom72
by Platinum Member on Dec. 13, 2016 at 10:54 AM

What a selfish little brat.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)