Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

snowed in provisions

Anonymous
Posted by Anonymous
  • 16 Replies
Moved up north where there's snow. What are some things I'll need to stock up on to prepare for winter?

Water, flash lights and batteries, candles, we have a deep freezer with meat already.

What do you do to prep for the upcoming season?
Posted by Anonymous on Dec. 13, 2016 at 11:01 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
Anonymous
by Anonymous 2 on Dec. 13, 2016 at 11:02 AM
I don't know. I have Newberry done anything special for winter.
Anonymous
by Anonymous 3 on Dec. 13, 2016 at 11:03 AM

Lamp oil and oil lamps. Radio, Something to cook on like a BBQ with a side burner to make coffee.

MistyMoo
by Emerald Member on Dec. 13, 2016 at 11:03 AM
I don't prep for winter, I don't think it's ever been that bad here.. that being said, I always have stuff in the cupboard and freezer because that's just how I do it.
K3412
by Ruby Member on Dec. 13, 2016 at 11:06 AM

I would consider alternative sources of heat, some shelf-stable carbohydrates and vegetables and other food staples like crackers and canned soup. Sand, shovels, de-icer and tire chains for vehicles can all be helpful. Make sure you have a stocked medicine cabinet/first aid kit, too.

If you are snowed in, it's possible you won't have power, either. I would stock up on things that you can fix without heat if necessary. We usually do that only if we know a storm is coming. We once were iced in and without power for a week.

fullxbusymom
by Sapphire Member on Dec. 13, 2016 at 11:06 AM

Honestly I live up North too and we don't do anything.  I always have some candles laying around and if I know a storm is coming and we will be snowed in for a few days I simply do grocery shopping before it hits.  Have lived here my entire life and it has never been an issue.  Our only concern is mostly heat because we don't have a fireplace or wood stove so if you have that issue a generator may be prudent. 

MsPenelope
by on Dec. 13, 2016 at 11:09 AM
A French press. If you can boil water on a BBQ grill, you can make coffee.

Warming drinks--ingredients for mulled wine, hot chocolate, chai, cider.

Candles because they are pretty when it is dark out and the blinds are open.

I like a hearty stew or a roasted chicken.

Plus tacos. Tacos are always good.
Anonymous
by Anonymous 4 on Dec. 13, 2016 at 11:14 AM

If you moved somewhere that gets lots of snow on the regular, you won't be snowed in often (if ever). Places with lots of snow, have snow removal figured out pretty well. Snowplows will be out to clear the major roadways before morning rush, and the residential streets are usually cleared before the kids get home from school.

Otherwise, have propane or charcoal for the grill (if power goes out, you'll still need a way to cook), and make sure you have enough thermal underwear and thick socks for everyone in the family.

wkukid
by Beach Bum on Dec. 13, 2016 at 11:16 AM
A whole house generator.
Anonymous
by Anonymous 5 on Dec. 13, 2016 at 11:18 AM
Liquor
AbbyWalsh
by Gold Member on Dec. 13, 2016 at 11:21 AM
Powdered milk or boxes of milk.

If a blizzard is predicted or any time you think you might lose power, fill every bit of your freezer that you can. The frozen food stays frozen longer when surrounded by other frozen food. If you have extra space, fill plastic containers with water and freeze them. They're giant ice cubes that will keep frozen for many days with the power off.

Keep non-perishable foods in the house always anyway. A crank radio and flashlight is good to have. If you have a gas stove you can still cook on it without electricity. Make sure you have matches.

Make sure you have a can opener that doesn't need electricity.

Keep your vehicles gassed up. Have phone chargers for use in the car.

Board games and actual books.

Extra blankets. Paper plates. Snow shovel (even if you have a snow blower). In an emergency, a dust pan makes a good hand shovel.

More than one hat, scarf, pair of gloves per person. They take forever to dry if you don't have heat.

A neighbor's phone number so you can check on each other. If you have a way to cook and they don't, invite them over!
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)