Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Teen girls and dating/boyfriends

Posted by on Dec. 13, 2016 at 11:44 AM
  • 31 Replies
My girls are only 7 and 8 so we haven't reached the dating stage of life yet. Dh and i have already discussed what dating ground rules will be though. I'm curious about other parents' requirements.

The neighbors have two teen girls and one has a boyfriend. When he picks her up to take her out, he pulls up in their driveway and honks for her to come out. Would you be OK with that? I, personally, think the young lady should require him to be more of gentleman as she's a sweet girl any time I see her. Dh and I agree any guy that takes our daughters out will come to the door, acknowledge us as parents and walk with our dd back to the car. And if it's a first date, we will meet him and talk to him first. Is that still how parents do things? Even if it's not, we still will. Lol. A little old fashion never hurt anyone. But I am curious what your dating rules are.
by on Dec. 13, 2016 at 11:44 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
januaryqueen
by Platinum Member on Dec. 13, 2016 at 11:50 AM
Bump
Cajunqueenslsg8
by Ruby Member on Dec. 13, 2016 at 11:55 AM
I don't think that is old fashioned, I think it's respect. This is coming from a mom of 3 sons. Even when my boys are out in a group outing they are taught to treat the girls with respect. Open the doors for them, pull out their seats etc...

Crazy-Steph
by Emerald Member on Dec. 13, 2016 at 11:55 AM

My daughter will be 16 next week.  Ugh...  She has not shown an interest in dating yet, but hell no.  No boy will sit in our driveway and honk!  Show some manners and walk up to the door.  As far as meeting him before a first date, I would be ok meeting him the night of.  

januaryqueen
by Platinum Member on Dec. 13, 2016 at 11:59 AM
1 mom liked this
I'm also fine with the night of. But I'll reserve the right to deny the date if I meet him and he's a hoodlum or disrespectful turd.

Quoting Crazy-Steph:

My daughter will be 16 next week.  Ugh...  She has not shown an interest in dating yet, but hell no.  No boy will sit in our driveway and honk!  Show some manners and walk up to the door.  As far as meeting him before a first date, I would be ok meeting him the night of.  

Crazy-Steph
by Emerald Member on Dec. 13, 2016 at 12:04 PM

Right?  LOL  But, I'm not too worried about that.  So far, the girl seems to have a pretty good head.  And with my husband being 6'7" and about 300 lbs, I don't forsee too many problems.  ;)

Quoting januaryqueen: I'm also fine with the night of. But I'll reserve the right to deny the date if I meet him and he's a hoodlum or disrespectful turd.
Quoting Crazy-Steph:

SergeantSausage
by Ruby Member on Dec. 13, 2016 at 12:08 PM

I would shut down any asshole who thought my daughter wasn't good enough to come to the door, greet everyone and walk her out like the lady she is. I also plan on teaching my daughter that boys/men who can't even be bothered to come to the door aren't worthy of her time. She is so much better than that and you can bet your ass he would be asked to leave.

First date....I wouldn't put it past my husband sneaking out to the boy's car, hiding in the back and planning a surprise attack on anything that seems wonky.  Just saying....

luckysevenwow
by Emerald Member on Dec. 13, 2016 at 12:12 PM
No dating till 16, we meet and get to know the boys/girls first before they're allowed to just go off together. At that point I don't need them to walk to the door everytime.
Anonymous
by Anonymous 1 on Dec. 13, 2016 at 12:17 PM
We require boys to come to the door and introduce themselves. We will remind both of rules and curfew. We won't sit down and "talk" to the boy, that comes as they get more serious.

Quoting januaryqueen: My girls are only 7 and 8 so we haven't reached the dating stage of life yet. Dh and i have already discussed what dating ground rules will be though. I'm curious about other parents' requirements.

The neighbors have two teen girls and one has a boyfriend. When he picks her up to take her out, he pulls up in their driveway and honks for her to come out. Would you be OK with that? I, personally, think the young lady should require him to be more of gentleman as she's a sweet girl any time I see her. Dh and I agree any guy that takes our daughters out will come to the door, acknowledge us as parents and walk with our dd back to the car. And if it's a first date, we will meet him and talk to him first. Is that still how parents do things? Even if it's not, we still will. Lol. A little old fashion never hurt anyone. But I am curious what your dating rules are.
zacmacsmomm
by Ruby Member on Dec. 13, 2016 at 12:36 PM

My daughters boyfriend came over BEFORE we would let them date.  She met him online, which she got in trouble for.  She was 16.  They have been together for nearly 18 months.  We like him, he's a good kid and treats her like gold!

Anonymous
by Anonymous 2 on Dec. 13, 2016 at 12:42 PM

We just did the honking thing in HS. I didn't want him to have to deal with my mom, lol. 

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)