Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

I want to put him in school and DH is against it. Who do you side with?

Anonymous
Posted by Anonymous
  • 44 Replies

My son will be 3 this spring. He has been begging to be in school for a long time.  He has been in the pre schooler room at church for about a year now. Kids are 4-5, and him. He has never been in daycare. The only time I don't have him with me is the 1 hour a week he spends in church class. Otherwise he is either at work or at home with me. 

When I ask him what he wants for Christmas, he says he wants to go to school.  He is a very sociable little boy and loves being around other people. And he absolutely GLOWS when I take him to school to visit his older siblings.  It's all he talks about. 

There is a small church preschool across the street from my office.  They operate on tuesdays and thursdays from 8-2. I can literally look out of the front window of my building and into the playground in the back yard.  A friend of mine sent her child there when he was 3-5 and I got to know the staff a bit because I would pick him up a few times a month and keep him until she got off from work.   One day over the summer this year I ran into the director and she offered my little boy a spot in her class, starting in January. She said she couldn't take a really young 2 year old so starting in August with the rest of the kids would be out of the question, but since he would be well close to 3 by the time January rolled around, as long as he was potty trained she wouldn't mind letting him join early. 

They would charge me $30 a week for the 2 days. And I'd be literally a 20 second walk away if anything were to ever happen. 

HOWEVER my son's father is against the idea.  He says that he thinks kids shouldn't start school until kindergarten, and he would like to keep DS out of school until he was 6, to start him then. 

I am torn.  I have ALWAYS planned to put DS into the head start program at the elementary school at 3.  My step kids both started at 4, and it was GREAT for them.  So I'm not sure why DH wants to keep our little one out until hes 6! He would turn 7 in kindergarten! Yikes.  But starting DS a few months early isn't necessary. And I could easily hold off until he is 4 and start him in 2018 in head start as a compromise. 

But DS would LOVE this so much. And it seems like a great opportunity for him.  The only requirements she had for him were that he could do basic care for himself like feeding himself and putting on and taking off coat and shoes, and that he be potty trained. All of which he can do.  They are little kids, 3-5 year olds. So I'm not worried about him being "behind" or anything like that. They do little field trips once a month like to the fire department to explore the fire trucks, or to the park or the end of the year they go to the movies. And they have lessons every day. They learn a new letter every week, and they explore shapes and colors. They do little science experiements like baking cookies and growing a garden. And I think it would make him SO HAPPY.  He BEGS for school. 

We could even keep him in this program next year too, and this way he'd be sure to have a spot as an existing student. So that would be a nice compromise with DH. 

BUT I do understand that he is still VERY LITTLE. And that is a concern of mine. 

Anyway... DH will ultimately differ to me and allow me to make the choice. But I really want to honor his wishes.  What would you do?

Posted by Anonymous on Dec. 13, 2016 at 1:58 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
peanutsmommy1
by Ruby Member on Dec. 13, 2016 at 2:21 PM
2 moms liked this
Social readiness for school is just as important as acady I would 100% do it
Anonymous
by Anonymous 1 - Original Poster on Dec. 13, 2016 at 2:26 PM

I really think he would absolutely thrive in the enviornment. He is little, and there is a chance that it might be too much for him. But I doubt it. He just loves being around other kids so much! And he becomes fast friends with anyone he meets. 

Quoting peanutsmommy1: Social readiness for school is just as important as acady I would 100% do it

Anonymous
by Anonymous 2 on Dec. 13, 2016 at 2:34 PM
1 mom liked this

I would put him in school. This isn't about DH, it's about DS and what he wants to do. It will be wonderful practice for actual school. 

Anonymous
by Anonymous 3 on Dec. 13, 2016 at 2:36 PM
4 moms liked this

Head Start is a program of the United States Department of Health and Human Services that provides comprehensive early childhood education, health, nutrition, and parent involvement services to low-income children and their families... it's not a program that just any parent can say they want to send their kid to. You have to be income qualified & there has to be room. Many programs are filled early on & have to turn away kids and not every area offers the program either

quinnsmom715
by Ruby Member on Dec. 13, 2016 at 2:37 PM
1 mom liked this

dh needs to realize your son needs a world outside you guys.its healthy to be away from mom and dad for a couple hours..

jabs54
by Ruby Member on Dec. 13, 2016 at 2:38 PM
1 mom liked this

I'm not a fan of putting kids in school early but I think since he enjoys it so much and it's only 2 days it would be great.

PJMM
by Ruby Member on Dec. 13, 2016 at 2:38 PM
1 mom liked this
Tell dh you're going to do a trial period. Three months and then you and he can re evaluate. Yds was in a school before four years old. He had to be because he had speech and other delays. I know the situations are different but it was the best thing for ds.
KendallsMommee
by Spoiled SAHM on Dec. 13, 2016 at 2:40 PM
I sure would.
Anonymous
by Anonymous 4 on Dec. 13, 2016 at 2:45 PM
Absolutely.
KeepOnTryin
by Melissa on Dec. 13, 2016 at 2:46 PM
You have some good reasons for wanting to send him to school. I say go for it.
What are your DH's reasons? Can he give you any?
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)