Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Hereditary genetic disease

Anonymous
Posted by Anonymous
  • 25 Replies

If you or your SO/DH know that a terrible hereditary disease runs in your family, would you still risk having children?  IF so, would you get them tested early to see if they have the disease?

The reason I ask, is that a childhood friend recently lost her battle with Huntington's Disease, which is a genetic mean disease that sort of combines the worst of MS and Parkisons.   Her father and grandfather died form HD.  She developed the disease in her 30s and died at almost 50 yo.   She has 2 sons and the disease typically affects the males. She was the only female in her family known to develop it.    Her 2 sons also have children.

Honestly, if I or DH tested positive as a carrier of a horrible disease, I do not think I would have had kids.   If the risk was over 25%, I just don't think I could have rolled the dice and hoped for the best.

What about you?

Posted by Anonymous on Dec. 13, 2016 at 4:44 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
Anonymous
by Anonymous 2 on Dec. 13, 2016 at 4:49 PM
I'd probably look into adoption.
Anonymous
by Anonymous 3 on Dec. 13, 2016 at 4:49 PM
I got tested to make sure I wasn't a carrier of the disease that runs in my family. There's no way I would have risked having kids if I was a carrier. My father and his siblings suffered terrible effects. I wouldn't wish that on anyone.
squeekers
by squeekers on Dec. 13, 2016 at 4:52 PM
When dh & I were first married, we went to see his neurologist and a geneticist to make sure his Epilepsy wasn't transferable.
spunky946
by Emerald Member on Dec. 13, 2016 at 5:49 PM
No probably not. That's why we had genetic testing before we had kids.
WaterorWine
by Wino on Dec. 13, 2016 at 5:52 PM
No, not intentionally. If I some how became pregnant id keep my baby though.
Anonymous
by Anonymous 4 on Dec. 13, 2016 at 6:06 PM

No. DH's uncle (not blood related) has Von Hippel-Lindau disease. There is no way I would have children knowing I have a disease that has a 50% chance of affecting a child, and their children, and so on.

Anonymous
by Anonymous 5 on Dec. 13, 2016 at 6:07 PM
We got tested for cystic fibrosis and tay Sachs (DH is an Ashkenazi Jew) prior to ttc. We would have done ivf with pgd if we had been carriers.
Anonymous
by Anonymous 6 on Dec. 13, 2016 at 6:11 PM

Nope.   I would never take the risk of passing on something horrific to my child.  I would have either adopted or not had children.   Thankfully, it was a non issue for us. 

Anonymous
by Anonymous 7 on Dec. 13, 2016 at 6:13 PM
My dad had Parkinson's. His decline was horrible with his healthy mind trapped in a paralyzingly body. They say Parkinson's isn't hereditary but I'm terrified that it really is and they haven't discovered the genetic link yet. I don't want it! I don't want anyone to have it. I would probably not have kids if I knew they would have it.
Anonymous
by Anonymous 8 on Dec. 13, 2016 at 6:14 PM

if i wouldve known id say no. but we didnt . we found that dh had Familial adenomatous polyposis

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)