Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Should I ask my landlord for accessible parking?

Anonymous
Posted by Anonymous
  • 21 Replies
My landlord provides parking, one space for each apartment, when I moved in I was told I could park wherever I want,a few months later that changed and I could only park in the spot assigned to my unit.

It hasn't been an issue up until now, but I will be going into surgery again very soon and will be in a wheelchair for several months then a walker. My current parking spot had barely enough room for me to open the car door let alone maneuver post op.

The agent was aware of my mobility issues when I rented the place, we discussed it. My apartment complex is very small, just 8 units.
Posted by Anonymous on Dec. 13, 2016 at 5:21 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
Anonymous
by Anonymous 2 on Dec. 13, 2016 at 5:23 PM
What would making it accessible for you entail?
Anonymous
by Anonymous 3 on Dec. 13, 2016 at 5:25 PM
1 mom liked this

You can ask but don't expect everyone there to make changes for you.  If they more your spot around, then someone else will have to move and change shit too 

squeekers
by squeekers on Dec. 13, 2016 at 5:25 PM
There should be handicap accessible spots in most parking lots.
Anonymous
by Anonymous 4 on Dec. 13, 2016 at 5:26 PM
Can you ask the person who has the most accessible spot for you to trade until you have fully recovered?
Anonymous
by Anonymous 1 - Original Poster on Dec. 13, 2016 at 5:29 PM
Switching my parking spot with one of 3 that would be accessible for me. Also at some point before I moved in my parking spot was switched with another units(which is one of the ones I would need to switch with)

Quoting Anonymous 2: What would making it accessible for you entail?
Anonymous
by Anonymous 2 on Dec. 13, 2016 at 5:30 PM
I don't think that would be unreasonable.

Quoting Anonymous 1: Switching my parking spot with one of 3 that would be accessible for me. Also at some point before I moved in my parking spot was switched with another units(which is one of the ones I would need to switch with)

Quoting Anonymous 2: What would making it accessible for you entail?
MenopauseManiac
by Ruby Member on Dec. 13, 2016 at 5:34 PM

If you don't have a handicapped placard, it would be up to another tenant to be willing to switch with you.

Anonymous
by Anonymous 1 - Original Poster on Dec. 13, 2016 at 5:42 PM
I'm asking for an ADA accommodation. Not just because I want to trade spots. He'll I won't even be able to pay my rent after surgery, their office is up a flight of stairs, and my city doesn't believe in sidealks or curb cuts outside of tourist areas.

I won't be able to drive for at least 3 months, I still need to figure out groceries, how to get to my doctor 60 miles away, how to get to physical therapy 15 miles away, and how to go to the damn bathroom. Oh and how to get to court for my divorce hearings, and fighting my ex and proving that I can still take care of a 3 year old, because that will be his excuse to push for custody so he doesn't have to pay CS, which he already doesn't pay.

If I'm lucky, after several months and extensive physical therapy I will still be able to drive (i can't use a clutch because of a similat surgery on my left ankle this year).

Quoting Anonymous 3:

You can ask but don't expect everyone there to make changes for you.  If they more your spot around, then someone else will have to move and change shit too 

Anonymous
by Anonymous 1 - Original Poster on Dec. 13, 2016 at 5:44 PM
I have disabled license plates.

Quoting MenopauseManiac:

If you don't have a handicapped placard, it would be up to another tenant to be willing to switch with you.

MenopauseManiac
by Ruby Member on Dec. 13, 2016 at 5:49 PM

Then why is this even a question?

Quoting Anonymous 1: I have disabled license plates.
Quoting MenopauseManiac:

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)