Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Is it fair to charge me more because I'm in a wheelchair?

Anonymous
Posted by Anonymous
  • 228 Replies
Where I live, the city bu's cost $1 each way, but if your disabled you only pay 50 cents. However the busses do not have a wheelchair lift, so if your in a wheelchair and need public transportation you have to use their lift service (which is door to door) and must pay full fare.

As a side note, on regular city busses children under 6 are free with paying adult, not so on the lift service so again I must pay full fare and any child under 36 inches and 36 pounds must ride in a car seat which I must provide (and presumably tote around with me).

So total cost for a round trip is $4 with the lift service vs $1 on the regular bus.

In my city sidewalks are the responsibility of the property owner so there are very few sidewalks and many are in disrepair and fewer still are passable by a wheelchair. Which is why I assume the busses don't have wheelchair lifts, but still, this is annoying.
Posted by Anonymous on Dec. 13, 2016 at 8:37 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
Anonymous
by Anonymous 2 on Dec. 13, 2016 at 8:38 PM
8 moms liked this
I would think it be required the busses have a wheel chair lift.
tsatske2
by Latricia on Dec. 13, 2016 at 8:39 PM
2 moms liked this

I'm sorry about this. Is there a political orginazation in your town trying to improve things for handicapped people? I'd join that.

Anonymous
by Anonymous 3 on Dec. 13, 2016 at 8:39 PM
12 moms liked this
All of those prices are super cheap.

If they're coming to your door for that price, thanks them and give them a Christmas card.
Lanie1313
by on Dec. 13, 2016 at 8:42 PM
1 mom liked this
We do not have door to door ...
However we do have wheelchair lifts.
As well ...anyone in a wheelchair or scooter, do not have to pay to get on the bus.
Also anyone accompanying them also get on for free.
Our regular bus fee is $3.00
Peaceful.chaos
by Emerald Member on Dec. 13, 2016 at 8:43 PM
5 moms liked this
Door to door service for $4 sounds awesome.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
mommytoeandb
by Ruby Member on Dec. 13, 2016 at 8:43 PM
1 mom liked this
Do they come to your house for pickup? If so, I can understand the extra cost. I've never seen a full-size public bus without a wheelchair lift.

Is there an advocacy group in your area? Can you attend the town/city meetings?
Anonymous
by Anonymous 4 on Dec. 13, 2016 at 8:44 PM
10 moms liked this
So you aren't being charged more....just the same as everyone else

And this is a problem ?
MissAndree
by Nosuchthing on Dec. 13, 2016 at 8:46 PM

My town has vouchers for low income disabled people. Maybe check into that if the cost is a hardship?

Anonymous
by Anonymous 5 on Dec. 13, 2016 at 8:47 PM
7 moms liked this
I would think the busses not having lifts and you having to pay extra for a service because of your wheelchair would be discriminatory. I would call the ADA hotline about what to do on that. It isn't right.
Anonymous
by Anonymous 6 on Dec. 13, 2016 at 8:48 PM
4 moms liked this
Yes it's fair. They are providing an extra service (door to door). And you're not paying more, simply the same rate as everyone else. I don't know why you should get a discount for being in a wheelchair to begin with.
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)