Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Am I Being too...

Posted by on Dec. 13, 2016 at 8:59 PM
  • 25 Replies

I have  7YO and my neighbor has a 6YO.  The laws in NJ say that you cannot leave a 6YO alone.  Our school district is really strict about a family member being present to get the kids off the bus.  I make sure I am there or a family member is there for my son every day.  My neighbor, however, makes little effort to be on time to get her daughter off the bus.  In fact, the husband and grandmom are the same way.  They come strolling along as the bus is ariving nearly every day.  Some days, they miss it and just expect that I will get the girl off the bus.  I have talked with the mom.  She says that they are late because they allow the younger daughter to play on the playground after preschool and lose track of time.  I feel like they are dumping their responsibility on me to get their kid off the bus.  They say thank you when I do, but the mom is not otherwise friendly. We used to talk, but she spent all of the time complaining about everyone in her life.  I know she complains to others about me because that's just what she does. The dad and grandmom will, at least. talk to me, but the mom ignores me most of the tme we are in each others company.  I just feel dumped on and I want to start picking my son up at school at theend of the day just to avoid the situation especially after today when the kid was yelling at me that I have to get her off the bus because no one is home at her house.  What would you do in my place? 

by on Dec. 13, 2016 at 8:59 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
bleumonster
by Sapphire Member on Dec. 13, 2016 at 9:03 PM
I would probably start picking my kid up at school as they never really asked you to do it but just expect you to do it. I might start after Christmas break and tell them ahead of time.
sammichmaker
by soup sandwich on Dec. 13, 2016 at 9:04 PM
1 mom liked this
Bring it up to the bus driver? Explain that you arent responsible for the kid, and it was not something that was planned.
Anonymous
by Anonymous 1 on Dec. 13, 2016 at 9:05 PM
I live in a cul de sac and the bus picks all the kids up at the enterance. In the mornings I take all the kids up to the bus and in the afternoons a different parent gets them all off. A parent has to be there so instead of all of us freezing to death we just trade off. I wouldn't mind getting her dd off the bus for her but I would want somebody home to get her once she got off the bus. I wouldn't be watching anyone's kid.
Anonymous
by Anonymous 2 on Dec. 13, 2016 at 9:05 PM
1 mom liked this
I have a very similar situation, but the bus driver knows the children's parents, and without a note, he wouldn't let the child off the bus anyhow. I wouldn't accept responsibility for a child whom the parents I wasn't close with.
Anonymous
by Anonymous 3 on Dec. 13, 2016 at 9:11 PM
I would tell the mom she can pay me $20 a week and I'll get her kid otherwise I'm walking away. And if someone isn't there within 5 minutes I'll call the cops and state the child has been abandoned.
SDmomma-3
by Ruby Member on Dec. 13, 2016 at 9:17 PM
I would either pick my child up from school or let the bus drive know that I'm not responsible for the child and not get her off anymore.
blue-heart
by Ruby Member on Dec. 13, 2016 at 9:22 PM
Tell the mom she isn't your kid and you won't be getting her off the bus anymore. And stick to it.
Anonymous
by Anonymous 4 on Dec. 13, 2016 at 9:22 PM
I HATE idiots like that! Thankfully it stopped as the kids got older but FUCK I have felt your pain. I just did it for peace sake.
Anonymous
by Anonymous 5 on Dec. 13, 2016 at 9:27 PM
1 mom liked this

If they are really strict about a family member being there then they won't release the child to you anyway, so something doesn't add up. 

I also "stroll up"  just as my child is being released, I see no reason to stand out extra in the heat or he freezing cold, so unless I'm feeling social and the weather is just right I get there's right at drop off and pick up times. I don't necessarily see that as a bad thing...if they are late all the time then yes it is a problem, but since your not a family member and can't take the child off the bus it's the drivers problem and they would need to ask them to be on time every day. 

kikibix
by Ruby Member on Dec. 13, 2016 at 9:27 PM

The kid was yelling at you? Nope. Pickup would stop right there. How did this start anyways? If they never asked you, you can stop anytime. 

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)