Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

How old?

Anonymous
Posted by Anonymous
  • 18 Replies
How old a person should be for you to not pay attention on what a person is saying?

My MIL is 71yo. When she tells me something I don't take it seriously. I've heard her saying all sorts of crap that doesn't make any sence. Or tell stories about people that never really happens. The sad part is that she truly believe they did happened. Today she said something about other "group/race of people" in front of my children. It wasn't nice and I asked her not to say things like that in front of the kids.

My kids know that things like that are not appropriate. They go to religious school where they teach kids to be nice to other people and always be kind. They were really disappointed to hear something like this from their grandmother. I just told them that grandma is old and we can't change her, but we don't say things like that.
Posted by Anonymous on Dec. 13, 2016 at 11:02 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
Anonymous
by Anonymous 2 on Dec. 13, 2016 at 11:07 PM
1 mom liked this
70. That's the magical age. When someone turns 70, you just ignore them like they're not even a person.

Are you serious? If this is out of character for her, it could be signs that she's had a stroke or is in the beginning stages of dementia/Alzheimer's. Instead of ignoring her and teaching your children to ignore her, someone should be taking her to see her doctor.

I sure hope someone pays attention if I ever start acting different, making up stories, or saying things that are out of character for me rather than saying "she's old, just ignore her".
bluebunnybabe
by kid crack dealer on Dec. 13, 2016 at 11:08 PM
Idk, my mom is 71 & isn't like that at all. Sorry.
Jojobug13
by Ruby Member on Dec. 13, 2016 at 11:08 PM
Are you serious right now?
Anonymous
by Anonymous 3 on Dec. 13, 2016 at 11:10 PM
My grandmother was sharp as a tack until she had a stroke at the age of 87. There isn't a magical number. If she's acting out of character then get her checked out. 70 isn't really that old.
-Spider
by on Dec. 13, 2016 at 11:10 PM

I am wondering the same thing.

Quoting Jojobug13: Are you serious right now?

Anonymous
by Anonymous 1 - Original Poster on Dec. 13, 2016 at 11:11 PM
I don't know if she ever said things like that before, because she just moved in with us. I wasn't close with her before that. Usually she is a kind person, but sometimes she says something that leaves me mad or confused.

Like last week, she told me that you can't have sex with multiple people because your kids will/can take characteristics from all men you've been with before. Apparently, she read it on facebook and it's so true.

Quoting Anonymous 2: 70. That's the magical age. When someone turns 70, you just ignore them like they're not even a person.

Are you serious? If this is out of character for her, it could be signs that she's had a stroke or is in the beginning stages of dementia/Alzheimer's. Instead of ignoring her and teaching your children to ignore her, someone should be taking her to see her doctor.

I sure hope someone pays attention if I ever start acting different, making up stories, or saying things that are out of character for me rather than saying "she's old, just ignore her".
Anonymous
by Anonymous 2 on Dec. 13, 2016 at 11:13 PM
What does your husband say? Surely he'd notice if this is her typical behavior.

Quoting Anonymous 1: I don't know if she ever said things like that before, because she just moved in with us. I wasn't close with her before that. Usually she is a kind person, but sometimes she says something that leaves me mad or confused.

Like last week, she told me that you can't have sex with multiple people because your kids will/can take characteristics from all men you've been with before. Apparently, she read it on facebook and it's so true.

Quoting Anonymous 2: 70. That's the magical age. When someone turns 70, you just ignore them like they're not even a person.

Anonymous
by Anonymous 1 - Original Poster on Dec. 13, 2016 at 11:13 PM
I know. I know people in their 70s and don't say things like that. When I mentioned it to my DH he said to not pay attention. He said that he tried to have a talk with her about that before, but she doesn't want to listen. So, I guess, it's not a new problem.

Quoting bluebunnybabe: Idk, my mom is 71 & isn't like that at all. Sorry.
Anonymous
by Anonymous 1 - Original Poster on Dec. 13, 2016 at 11:14 PM
He said to not pay attention,because he tried multiple times to talk to her, but she doesn't listen and than gets mad at him. She's acting like a child sometime. When he does say something, she starts saying things like: it's because you don't want me here, you wan to to go....etc.

Quoting Anonymous 2: What does your husband say? Surely he'd notice if this is her typical behavior.
Quoting Anonymous 1: I don't know if she ever said things like that before, because she just moved in with us. I wasn't close with her before that. Usually she is a kind person, but sometimes she says something that leaves me mad or confused.

smorgan865
by Emerald Member on Dec. 13, 2016 at 11:17 PM
Have you had her evaluated for Alzheimer's or dementia?
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)