Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Please Help! 7 year old son HATES to read

Posted by on Jan. 3, 2017 at 12:32 AM
  • 178 Replies
My 7 year old son absolutely loathes reading and it is mainly due to the fact that he can't concentrate. He refuses to sound things out, doesn't pay attention, and flat out says, "books are the enemy." He bounces off the wall in general and is extremely impulsive. I honestly think he may have a problem with dyslexia, but his kindergarten teacher (and now his first grade teacher) both say he doesn't. He refuses to try chapter books, even if they have simple words he can read.

I have tried Magic Tree House, Captain Underpants, Notebook of Doom, and Ramona books. He rejects them all.

We are going on a road trip soon, and need to drive 16 hours in two days. Does anyone have any recommendations on books that MIGHT keep him entertained in the car?
by on Jan. 3, 2017 at 12:32 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
Mom-to-2kids
by Sapphire Member on Jan. 3, 2017 at 12:33 AM
2 moms liked this
Does he like comic books? There are some good "kid friendly" ones.
Anonymous
by Anonymous 1 on Jan. 3, 2017 at 12:35 AM
2 moms liked this
Diary of A Wimpy Kid.
momofhnd
by Gold Member on Jan. 3, 2017 at 12:36 AM
Have you tried Diary of a whimpy kid ?
Anonymous
by Anonymous 2 on Jan. 3, 2017 at 12:37 AM
3 moms liked this
Don't make it a battle. Keep it fun. Both of my kids hated to read until they learned enough for it to be easy for them.
Graphic novels
Audio books especially for the car
Don't push him to read chapter books. Start with picture books.
Go back to very beginning readers. It will build his confidence!
Keep tons of high interest books close by at all times.
Read to him! Or read together and have him read an easy word everytime you come to it.
ejkdmom
by Gold Member on Jan. 3, 2017 at 12:38 AM
You have two different issues.

One is the reading. Do you read to him or with him? Tried comics?

Second is the trip. If you try to make him read the trip will be Hell for all concerned.
Anonymous
by Anonymous 3 on Jan. 3, 2017 at 12:39 AM
Can you do word games on laptop or phone, just to help with concentration and for fun?
Anonymous
by Anonymous 4 on Jan. 3, 2017 at 12:39 AM
Anonymous
by Anonymous 5 on Jan. 3, 2017 at 12:40 AM
1 mom liked this
http://www.amazon.com/gp/aw/d/0692600302/ref=mp_s_a_1_7?ie=UTF8&qid=1483421890&sr=8-7&pi=AC_SX236_SY340_FMwebp_QL65&keywords=minecraft+books+for+kids&dpPl=1&dpID=51VvKkU3nwL&ref=plSrch

I started my son these because he didn't want to read, DanTDM, Stampy, books I wrote, and Puppy Pirate Books. Now in 3rd grade gifted his favorite right now is anything physics or medical. Haha

Anonymous
by Anonymous 6 on Jan. 3, 2017 at 12:40 AM
1 mom liked this
My son was the same way. We got him comic books like Calven and Hobbs. Easy, short and entertaining. We never pushed reading chapter books. He struggled so we didn't want to make it worse.
Anonymous
by Anonymous 7 on Jan. 3, 2017 at 12:41 AM
Have you thought about maybe a computer game that involves reading. make it fun and he will think it is a game
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)